1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced steering angle sensor, now traction control engages breaks and randomly, while driving.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Josephyoneyo, Apr 10, 2023.

1. Josephyoneyo

Josephyoneyo New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Please help someone! I'm trying to figure out what the issue is. I just installed a steering angle sensor I bought from ebay and the traction control light went away. ✔️ ( At least that's what I thought )

While installing I made sure not to spin or turn the steering angle sensor.

Afterwards, I did a test drive but while driving, the traction control began to randomly engage the breaks, attempting to slow the car down.

I scanned the car for codes but there were not none present for the ABS or the Traction Control System.

My scan tool revealed the steering angle sensor was responsive, when the steering wheel was turned either directions but it angle sensor read -245 degrees even though the tires were straight.

Please help thanks!

Tombukt2 likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah I think you have to have a capable scanner do something with that sensor set it up something but I think this is kind of interesting because when I changed my clock spring and stuff behind the steering wheel I didn't do anything and I did turn the steering wheel and I did turn the clock spring until the red lines were not aligned and then I realigned them put it all back on everything worked no issue and this was a used clock spring from another car.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not finding it easily, but I seem to recall another recent thread that was similar, and was solved by installing an angle sensor that wasn't from eBay.

The steering angle sensor itself doesn't have any calibration you have to do. It does depend on the yaw sensor (down under the center console box) being correctly calibrated—which it should already be, if no one has fussed with that.

When you drive the car straight down the road, with the yaw sensor at zero and the wheel speeds equal, the ECU decides whatever the angle sensor is saying right then must be zero steering angle, and remembers that.

4. 562 Prius

562 Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Did you ever figure it out?