1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced sway bar links, much better but I think I need to look for more worn parts...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jeffrimerman, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I saw that both the sway bar links the rubber was torn open so I changed those and it drives more normal again. The front end still sounds 'loose' and clunky so I'm sure I need to change something else. Outer tie rod ends look fine but maybe the inner tie rods? Anyone else replace front suspension stuff and what was it?

ScottHz likes this.
  2. Mdv55

Mdv55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sway bar mount bushings would be next on my list.

If you jack the front end of the car up, grab each wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock and push/pull on opposite sides you should feel the tie rod ends popping back and forth if they are shot. If you feel that, you need someone to grab the tie rods while you shake the wheel to see which one is bad (inner or outer). Outside of pothole damage, I doubt they're worn already though.

ScottHz and Jeffrimerman like this.
  3. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you. Can I jack one side at a time and do it so that way I'm checking each tie rod end? I was reading more and it sounds like if inner or outer tie rods are done then my steering would feel funky but it feels nice and tight again now but I should still check to cross off the list. I wonder if lower ball joint would give a clunk sound but would still drive ok. That one seems like the most robust joint so maybe not that.

4. Mdv55

Mdv55 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If the left side tie rods are bad you'll feel it when you move the left wheel and won't if you shake the right and vice versa.

I'd suspect ball joints before control arm bushings in normal wear to be honest. To check those have the car jacked up and place a lever arm, like the jack handle, under the tire at 6 o'clock and pry upwards. The joint will wiggle and pop if if it's bad.

My money is still on sway bar bushings if no outside factors are present (like hitting something).

Paul E. Highway and Jeffrimerman like this.
  5. Jeffrimerman

Jeffrimerman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just posted on the other thread that I jacked up left first then right and checked the wheels. The right didn't budge and made no clunk but the left very little but I could feel it. I pried upward also to see if the ball joint but neither side clunked so seems like the left tie rod end possibly. Maybe I'd need to jack up and put my hand on it with someone or myself trying to move the wheel and see if I feel the tie rod pop a little.