1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced the tires

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jfschultz, Oct 30, 2004.

1. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jeff,

Like you I changed to the Hydroedge just before the 5000 mile service. The only issue with an independent tire shop was that after seeing the guy try to figure it out for a minute, I went out to the car to show him. He didn't have any problem getting the car back out.

One thing that surprised me at the tire shop was that I got up to look through the window to see if my car was still in the shop and my phone beeped. The car was not in the shop and infact it was done and had just been parked in the front. The phone beeped because the car was turned off and the phone lost the bluetooth connection.

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Thanks for the info, guys -- it is appreciated. I'll look at the independent shops and see what the prices are like for the HydroEdge.

3. Venturer

Venturer New Member

Our Prius is less than a month old and I did not like the way it handled on the highway, especially in rainy or windy conditions. It was scary and required all of my attention. I read many of the related posts and although I didn't think tires could make much of a difference, I went with the flow and put on a set of Comfort treads from Good Year yesterday. My wife called me after a 40 mile trip in the rain and a cross wind. No more slipping and no more wandering. The car wasn't even affected by a semi passing her and pulling back into her lane. She says the new tires also give a smoother and quieter ride. She is a happy camper tonight. The total cost including balancing, mounting, and sales tax was $292 after a $140 trade in allowance and a $40 rebate.
    Why wouldn't Toyota put on the best tires and charge a couple hundred more to have a better product??? My dealer said that I was the first person to complain about the tires. There must be a lot of owners that think the lousy handling is ok for the mileage they are getting. I guess many don't realize how good it could be.

Doug

4. kidtwist

kidtwist New Member

I believe Toyota choose the tires for their low rolling resistance, which allows the car to do better in EPA mileage tests. I find the handling of the car with the original tires to be adequate, but I will be switching to Comforttreds, if only for the noise/vibration reduction.