1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replaced three way coolant valve, again, now i’m overheating

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gino Veltri, Mar 13, 2024.

1. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    i just replaced my coolant valve for a second time because of a p1123 ect. Same procedure but this time i bled both systems and now i’m overheating. Additionally, the car has had heater problems intermittently, now it blows ice cold air (no heat). while jumping the coolant heated storage pump to bleed the air out my multimeter was only showing 1.3 amps at most with the car off and battery attached. shouldnt it be higher?
    It sounds like air in the system plus a defective heater core or something. i also think i stripped the heater core bleeder valve (the plastic one with a hex key) so that’s just another part of my screw ups. but hey, no more check engine light!‍♂️

this is a 2008 prius with 289889 miles, the brake actuator accumulator runs way too often and the tpm warning light is always on.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you should wait until the car is cool, open the radiator cap, and then fill it all the way up

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah... Most hot running engine issues are resolved doing this multiple times / every time your engine is cold before you drive somewhere.

However the intermitent heater issue still needs a diagnosis, unless it's as simple as replacing the stripped bleeder valve and getting the air out of the heater core once that's done.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    or hoses got mixed up

pasadena_commut and PriusCamper like this.
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is how the plumbing should run:

upload_2024-3-14_14-25-9.png

6. Gino Veltri

Gino Veltri Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    thanks for that diagram, i burped and burped (there’s still air trapped in there) but my heater works again and we aren’t over heating anymore so all is well in prius world… i mean except for the amount of oil she eats