1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced tires - MPG Plummeted - is this normal?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by paulbid, Feb 19, 2010.

1. paulbid

paulbid New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought a used '07 Prius in Nov. I live in Pa. - lots of rolling hills and mountains. Before it got real cold, I was averaging 55mpg on the highway. When it got colder, it dropped to 52mpg. Still very good.

I took the car to Florida several weeks ago for an extended vacation. The car was heavily loaded and packed, and I still got 52mpg on the trip down there. In FL for several weeks, I averaged about 54mpg.

While it was there, I had to change the oil, and during that service visit, the service station noticed my rear tires were very worn (supposedly, I didn't notice it). After a few minutes of negotiation, I decided to replace all 4 tires. I had Dunlop Graspics on the vehicle (I don't know what they were inflated to). The dealer installed Yokohama AS530 tires, same size (185/65/15).

Immediately after that visit, my MPG dropped to 44MPG. The tires are 185/65/15, which is the recommended size. They were inflated to 40PSI. For the entire time in FL, and on my return home (about 1600 miles), the MPG stayed at 44. Since I've been home in PA, I started reading this forum and talked to the tire dealer here who is part of the FL chain (NTB Tires) and he suggested I inflate the tires to 48/46, which I did. My MPG moved up to 49MPG. However, I didn't like the bumpy ride and I since lowered them to 40/40 and my MPG has stayed the same. (So now I'm at the same PSI that I was in FL, but my MPG has increased 5MPG - interesting).

I then talked to my service station (Monro Muffler) guy who does a lot of my oil changes/inspections and he said inflating the tires beyond the door sticker (35/33) will prematurely wear the tires out. He also said that the Yokohamas are a "heavy" tire and will get less MPG. Best I can tell the Yokohamas are 19lb., the previous tires were either 17 or 18lb.
    He recommended I install the Goodyear Fuel Max tire or Michelin.

I'm a rookie Prius owner, so I would appreciate any advice. I have 30 days to have the tires replaced at no charge if I'm not happy. Some questions for you on this forum:

1. Should I replace the Yokohamas?
    2. From reading this forum, there appears to be a notion that tires will "break in". I have 2K miles on them now. Should I be patient and see if the MPG improves?
    3. What about this idea of "over inflating" the tires? My tires are rated 51 max. PSI? Is is OK to inflate them beyond 35/33? Will it prematurely wear the tires? How do you determine what is the right setting?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Lack of tire wear is proof that pressure up to the maximum not a problem. I ran 44/42 for 5 years with my 2004 Prius. It was no big deal. Wear was even across the tread.

Automaker recommendations are based on a balance of comfort, performance, and price with the factory tires in mind.

Tiremakers know their tires and design them to retain their proper shape up to the maximum listed on the tire itself. In other words, you are not "over inflating" unless you exceed that.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The type of tire can make a big difference. I don't know the specifics of either of your tires, but switching from a low rolling resistance tire to a soft performance tire will cause a big hit.

Simply switching to new tires of the same type will cause a small drop in mileage while they break in.

Tom

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1. Unless the tire dealer has a [x]-day satisfaction guarantee, I wouldn't spend even more money just because fuel mileage has taken a hit.
    2. Yes, although you might not regain completely your previous fuel economy. As John suggests, the rolling resistance of your new tires may be higher than that of the old ones.
    3. No worries about inflating them to 51. There are many that inflate Prius tires to max sidewall (and even beyond). I have seen absolutely no report of any with excessive wear in the middle of the tread -- the pattern that might be caused by overinflation. On the other hand, there are many reports of outer edge wear when owners have kept pressures in the 30s. The only downside to inflating to max sidewall pressure is a stiffer ride. You should see a substantial gain in fuel economy by pumping them up.

5. paulbid

paulbid New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Responses:

1. I have a 30 day customer satisfaction guarantee on the tires. I can get them replaced with no charge to any other tire.

2. Where can I find out the rolling resistance of my tires?

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's no one source of rolling resistance info for all tires, and there may not be any source for the particular tire you're interested in.

You can google "low rolling resistance tires" and come up with a dated list of some low rolling resistance tires.

But I'd rather go with apples to apples tire tests, the two most recent and best of which are TireRack.com's August 2009 test of several, mostly low rolling resistance tires, and Consumer Reports' November 2009 comprehensive tests of a wide variety of tires.

Here's a link to TireRack.com's tests of low rolling resistance tires:

When Round and Black Becomes Lean and Green

And here's a scan of Consumer Reports' November 2009 tire test Recommendations and Ratings:

[​IMG] Consumer_Reports_Nov._2009_Tire_Tests-1.doc

Read the tire tests, consider all the factors (handling, braking, wet performance, snow performance, rolling resistance, etc.) that are important to you and choose your tire.

Note that many of the tires tested do not come in the OEM 185/65/15 size, but are probably available in the next closest size of 195/60/15.

Personally, when I get new tires I'll probably be going with the Hankook Optimo H727 in the 195/60/15 size because it's the best performing 4 season tire (e.g., its performance on snow and ice is equal to or better than most of the Winter tires tested by Consumer Reports) and it's relatively inexpensive (about $72 to $84 a tire depending on where you get them from). But note that its rolling resistance is probably higher than most of the tires tested in that TireRack.com tire test.

Good luck.

7. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What Tom said. :)

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My MPG plummeted 20% for 10k miles when I switched to Falken Zi-Ex, but only dropped 3% for a couple thousand miles with my next switch to Michelin Hydroedges.

I'm not trying to say the Falken's were bad, just that tyre choice makes a big difference. Tyres that in general that are soft, meaning great handling and short life, will often be low MPG. That is my rule of thumb anyway.

9. nambinhvu

nambinhvu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You forgot to mention reduced handling. :) Less tire gripping the road from higher psi = longer time to stop the car, and not as grippy when turning, so don't drive as fast as you did before thinking you'll be able to stop or turn in time, could be dangerous. I've read that the speed that could cause hydroplaning when going over water is increased though, which means you can go faster than before, without the risk of hydroplaning, even though, don't go speeding around, drive at safe speeds. :)

10. nambinhvu

nambinhvu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm wondering if wear on tire makes the car think it's getting better mpg. Are you basing your mpg on the screen's readout, or are you actually calculating by dividing the miles traveled by how much gas you put in the tank? Also smaller tires from wear and tear = higher rpm to go the same speed, the prius could be thinking it's going 70mph when it's actually going 68, which would trick it into thinking it's traveling more miles on the same amount of gas, though I guess if you're using your odometer to count how many miles you're going, you'd still get less miles traveled because of the larger new tires. Maybe try using a gps or some other method of calculating how many miles traveled and compare it to the miles traveled of the odometer.

11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rolling resistance decreases with reduced tread because a large majority of tire rolling resistance (60%+) comes from the tread. Some tires incorporate sidewall technology to reduce hysteresis while others may only change tread compounds.

The GenII Prius speedometer reads 1.5mph-2mph too fast from the factory. Worn tires or those with more revolutions per mile than the OE Integrity tire will increase this error as will very worn tires.