1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced Turn Signals, Fog Lights, High Beams, Parking Lights & Rear License Plate Bulbs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by stream, Jun 13, 2009.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The 68LED you linked is the same one that DeanFL used
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...s-rear-license-plate-bulbs-6.html#post1175263 As he stated don't waste your money. The 68LED foglight uses 1210 LED. I just got a pair of 30LED 7443 that uses 5050 LED that I just replaced the reverse lights with. It is rated at 3 times as bright as the 1210 LED. Basically the bulb I got is equivalent to about 90 1210LEDs. Let me tell you, the stock 7440 incandescent bulb is slightly brighter than the LEDs I got. If my 90LED equivalent bulb is slightly dimmer than a 21W incandescent bulb. The 68LED wont stand a chance against a 55W halogen bulb. If you want functional fog lights use HIDs. Current LEDs are only bright enough to replace parking lights, reverse lights, turn signal lights and interior lights.
    Until someone start making bulbs using these types of LEDs NEW 12 Volt 15 Watt White LED Light Bulb Lamp 12VDC 15W - eBay (item 290456660326 end time Sep-19-10 23:32:31 PDT) or 1pc High Quality 20W White 1600 Lumen Save Power LED F - eBay (item 280560421742 end time Sep-20-10 08:42:07 PDT) there won't be any functional LED driving lights.

3. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the info... I have a light with the SST90 LED.. its about 2500 lumens from one led!

While HID's are sweet, my Halogens in my 2010 prius beat my HID's in my 2006 prius.
    And now that I've gone to PIAA Halogen there is no comparison!

LED technology is getting there however... especially when they stack them like this.

4. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just installed the 5 led blue as my parking lights.
    I must say they are quite attractive to behold.
    That exact type led is now also in my front dome and license plate.
    Here is a pic.

[​IMG]

5. partsmore

partsmore Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice - too bad any blue light facing foward is illegal in NE

6. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Don't know.. most of the stuff I read talk about them flashing.... I guess if I get pulled over I'll know.

7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get one of those huge round blue beacon lights like the troopers in Michigan use, and stick that sucker on the roof :rockon:

Mike

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Somehow I think that would be pushing my luck!

I'll call the "sticker inspection" people tomorrow and maybe the cop shop too just to see what they say.
    But as many motorcycles I see running around with blue all over the place It shouldn't be an issue.

9. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    As a general rule it is far easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission. I am sure you will be told exactly what was said above. Unless you want to remove your blue lights wait till someone notices. I don't think they are really blue anyway. That is an optical illusion! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Checked with DPS and the guys that do inspections... only colors allowed in front are clear and amber.........
    Motorcycles get away with it cause its on the engine rather than the projecting lights.

Of course in a rear view mirror, its all the same IMO.

11. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you get pulled over, get us a picture of your car with the cop's car behind it :D

Mike

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm conceding.. its just a matter of time before I get pulled over and I have a good record.
    Now I"m trying to figure what other useful place those types of bulbs can go instead while I order a different LED for the front parking.

13. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Make 'em flashing on & off, add some red LED's in there and setup a video camera pointing to the rear of the car so we can see you getting pulled over :pound:

Yea I hear YA about getting those blue lamps out'a there before they get YA :scared:

You should of seen all the Prius's a couple weeks ago when we were driving up US-41 north out of Chicago. Dang they were thick as flies :rockon: We got our own Prius game were we see one, make a KKKK sound and call out it's color and what Gen it is. It started out from that VW commercial on TV where the guy is sitting in his driveway saying that his VW goes Vroom and asks the neighbor what his Prius sounds like and you hear kind of a KOhhhh hollow no tone sound. So now we count Prius's as we travel the country :D

Mike

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Counting Prius's will keep you as busy as in the old days when we used to count luv bugs!.. "VW beetle"

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ain't that the truth :) I call my wife the Prius stalker :crazy: She will buy one one of these days. I get a 3rd gen first, in a couple years, or whenever she says to go buy it :rockon:

Mike

16. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK.. I've installed my "white" 5- LED's this time... I like them!

They are actually the best of both worlds.... much brighter than the original "or" the blue ones I had in before and legal!
    The second thing I like better is there is a hint of higher kelvin than then Halogen present... more evident in real life than the picture below represents.
    I haven't seen them at night yet but they should be striking!

[​IMG]

17. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey Alan,

Much better than the arrest me blue :p Now for the night pic's tonight. Hey got some good news from the wife last night, she says 1 more year until she buys me a Gen III :rockon: Cool

Mike

18. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    OK, you got it!..
    here is a nightime shot.....
    I almost like it better "I think I do!" than the blue one!..... its really not blue as of such but my phone camera makes it look bluer than it really is, but next to the Halogens it really stands out.
    Whenever I render the pictures lighting so it looks totally realistic, the picture is too dang bright!.. Just trust me, its not that blue.. but a pleasant "arc blue".

[​IMG]

19. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Darn cool looking :) Does it run freakin hot like the other LED lamp did? Wouldn't want anything in there that could melt plastic :eek:

Mike

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nope, I've been running for several days now.... and lots of night driving on my job.

I think the other problem was that that were "9" LED's as described in post # 253 here and stood taller and almost touched the plastic and had 4 more LED's to boot... just too close of a clearance and the plastic got too hot is my suspicion.

These stand one level less being 5 and do just fine so far.