1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced Turn Signals, Fog Lights, High Beams, Parking Lights & Rear License Plate Bulbs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by stream, Jun 13, 2009.

1. kanevil

kanevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does any1 know which bulb to get if i want to upgrade my non-led headlights?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

If you want a real upgrade, go HID, but it's more than just screwing them in. Bulbs like Silverstar Ultra's while a little whiter have a shortened life.

Some are against going HID saying they blind other drivers is not aimed properly but with the projector beams in the Prius, and quit a few doing it on here w/o problems like that, I'd say its the only decent upgrade to go with.

3. kanevil

kanevil New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks, ill keep that in mind. :cool:

4. ephatch

ephatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is there any remedy to the hyper-flashing that comes along with replacing the turns with LEDs? It's driving me crazy!

5. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  6. ephatch

ephatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is there any harm that can be done to the vehicle by using the stock flasher with LED signals? I know they flash faster, but what's the harm otherwise?

7. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    No harm, just annoying.

8. ephatch

ephatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Alrighty then. It is quite annoying, but I'll live.

9. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Try a 10k ohm resistor across one of the LED lamps on each side to give the circuit a bit more load.

Mike

10. ephatch

ephatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well I ended up ordering a a flasher, every LED for inside and out, and an HID kit from the Retro Source. I have never been excited about lights before lol.

11. dehhh

dehhh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is there a how to or thread to make the turn signals as DRL? Thanks.

12. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
  13. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am feeling really lazy today and don't want to read/search through the post but would like to replace the winkers with LEDs. What is the brightest (daytime also) most noticeable unit out there that someone can personally speak for? I would gather the SMD style would be the brightest, yes?

Thanks!

14. skylarii

skylarii New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
  15. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm using them in the interior and yes, they're lower profile but are not necessarily brighter due to less surface area used for each SMD compared to say 9-SMD SBLs. They do sit nicely/less visible in the parking light but their 6000K color is too blue for my LED headlights and I can't stand mismatched colors.

16. skylarii

skylarii New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks 32kcolors on your reply. I wanted to ask if you are still using the ABD parking lights and where did you source them in the states? Are they equally bright as the 5SMDs that many are using ( i.e., Super Bright LEDs)? Are there any close LED alternatives you have more recently found that meet your taste other than the ABDs? Not perfect but a close second?

17. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes, I'm still using the ABD Xenon Extreme White sidelight bulb as I haven't found an LED alternative that's an acceptable match to the LED headlights. They can be gotten at 501 W5W Xenon Extreme White Side light bulb and they do ship to the U.S. Unfortunately, they're rather dim being blue-tinted halogen bulbs. The LEDs I've tried were either too white (e.g. 5100K WLED-WHP5) or too blue (all the 5500K and 6000K LEDs). I'm more interested in color matching though.

However, my situation doesn't really apply to you as you don't have LED headlights so all you have to do is upgrade to 6000K HID and you'll be able to use a 6000K LED that's a perfect match.

18. skylarii

skylarii New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks for the confirm. 32kcolors.

Back somewhat to Spiderman's question about winkers. I tried a set of TSLs from SuperBrightLEDs that were confirmed by a user (forgot which post). These were the 15LED 16mm wedge base 7440-A15. They were a bit stubborn of a fit but seemed to engage but they would not light up. Is this one of those where you have to lift up on the contacts to make a better seat? All I got was a fast flasher response with no light. I may have missed something on this app on a prior post so let me know if this is even a fit or if I need to do something specific to make them work. I thought I read that they were a drop in but I did not see info if they were required to have the flasher changed on it. They have a built in resistor but that does not necessarily mean anything.

Thank you

19. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Funny, I prefer the mismatched colors!
    But that works against me.... twice I got pulled over because "you aren't allowed to have blue lights up front"...only EMS vehicles.... while I argued some folks have their whole headlight blue and these are actually white but just look blue because they are next to Halogen, I realized cops are never wrong and what was I doing besides begging for a ticket!

So now I run stock lights cause I don't like getting pulled over.. same for my rear license plate light... my car is blue and the higher kelvin slightly blue lights are exaggerated even more against my blue paint.

20. ockevin

ockevin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four