1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced Turn Signals, Fog Lights, High Beams, Parking Lights & Rear License Plate Bulbs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by stream, Jun 13, 2009.

1. brad_rules_man

brad_rules_man Hybrid electric revolutionizer

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've bookmarked this thread for when I get mine. :)

2. LTRAiN

LTRAiN New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    awesome post...bought all that stuff except the high beam change..dont use them very often.

3. Yaumeister

Yaumeister New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If anyone is considering an alternative route to lighting mods, consider this:

Original spec:
    H11 halogen bulbs fitted to front fog and low beam (for those without LED headlamps),

Modded spec:
    H9 halgeon bulb produces 2100 lumens compared to H11 which only creates 1350 lumens. However, in order to do this the H9 bulb needs to be modified to fit the H11 socket and plug.

I can't post external URLs yet, but do a search for "h9 h11 bulb" on Google and you'll see many examples.

Original spec:
    9005 halogen bulbs fitted to high beam.

Modded spec:
    9011 HIR bulb produces 2700 lumens compared to 9005 which only creates 1700 lumens, again I can't post URLs, so do a search for "toshiba hir bulb", again many examples of conversion on the web.

They should be the "brightest" options as the lumens count show, BUT they are not the "whitest" since the colour temp is still dependent on the bulbs you buy.

4. jm1515

jm1515 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    First post!:D
    I've been lurking for ~ 3 months now, and last week ordered my Prius V. This site has been a wealth of info....:amen:
    I just wanted to +1 stream's endorsement of powerbulbs.com in the UK...in case anyone has any trepidation ordering from the other side of the planet.
    I've ordered lots of bulbs from them...many in the motorcycle world do. Great prices and fast, reasonably priced shipping...
    No affliation and yadda yadda...just a very satisfied customer...:focus:

5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The PIAA 15211 H11 Fog Lamp bulbs are now on sale for $58.30 on Amazon. You can see the price once added to your cart. They were $73 give or take just yesterday... I ordered me a pair for the new price!

Stream, make sure you contact Amazon.com, I think if its within 30 days or so of when you ordered yours, they will credit you the difference. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00067BVKK/ref=ox_ya_oh_product?tag=priuschatcom-20

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the heads up. I called Amazon and they said they discontinued post-order price adjustments last September, so I asked for a supervisor, who agreed to give me a $10 credit. Close enough.

Thanks again.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Amazon values customer experience for repeat business. Not suggesting they'll do that every time (they won't), but it was worth the effort. In any case, thanks for keeping my stock options worth something ;)

I was kinda disappointed they didn't carry (themselves or 3rd party seller) each of these silver bulbs.

8. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I've been an Amazon customer for over 10 years, and have always been impressed with their customer service, but in this instance I was a bit let down. I'll give them credit (pardon the pun) for giving me the $10, but to not have a 30 day price guarantee (vs. their own prices) isn't particularly customer friendly.

9. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, Welcome! (Sorta,) :)

10. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Glad you at least got something stream. About three years ago, I know for sure they gave the difference if the price fell...

I had bought a 40" Sony lcd back then and the price kept comeing down every week or so. I would always call the day I saw the price fall and they would give me another refund of the difference. Shame they changed the policy but this economy is screwing up everything! lol

1 person likes this.
  11. LTRAiN

LTRAiN New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    did you have to jack up the front end to get a good look inside to change out the fog lights?

12. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    To change any of the front lights (fogs, turn signals, high beams & parking lights) you're doing it by feel since you don't have a clear line of sight. Not a big deal, once you've gotten used to it.

For the fogs & front turn signals, you might be able to get a clear line of sight if you jacked the car up, but it's not worth the effort.

13. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    After having done all the other bulbs I sprung for the fog light bulbs as well and put them in last night. I didn't go out driving with them yet but having them point right onto my garage door, they are a little whiter than the stock but I was a little dismayed tht they were not a whole lot whiter. Brightness as well, I didn't see much of a difference but I may have to take the car out to really see their full effect.

What was your opininon on the fog light bulbs stream? Looking at the front end of the car they do look a little whiter than stock and match the LED headlights a little more but not a right there close match. Did you notice any improvement with light on the road at night with them?

14. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm happy with the fog bulbs (I've used them on a handful of previous cars). From a color perspective, the stock bulbs looked noticeably yellowish compared to the headlights, and these match very well. The difference was very apparent when having 1 of each bulb on either side. Is it a 100% match? No, but I don't think you can expect bulbs using 2 different technologies to look exactly the same.

In terms of illumination, to my eye there is an improvement (and every bit helps from a safety perspective), though not as much of a difference as I've experienced with previous cars (that had HID headlights). Perhaps it's the light pattern/intensity of the LEDs masking the difference a bit.

15. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have small hands, and I had a heck of a time replacing all the bulbs, with one exception. They have DRASTICALLY improved how easy it is to get to the license plate bulbs. I replaced the parking lights (all 4) and the license plate bulbs with LEDs. The two on top of the headlights I did in amber actually.. I thought the contrast would be nice and make the headlights look even better. It's just a taste thing I suppose, rather than have it all blend in I did that. I will post pictures as soon as I'm done tomorrow. I look like I've been trying to slit my wrists or something. LOL

The LEDs I used on the side parking lights were way brighter than the ones that came stock, and they look great. The back license plate bulbs were the same bulb which are really bright, but warm white. That doesn't look much different that the stock bulb in the back, so I am thinking about ordering more online in cool white. I replaced all the interior bulbs with these universal 24LED light kits. In the front, since there are two separate housings, I was able to get 48 combined in, and those suckers are bright! Really cool. I also got the cargo area. :)

16. brad_rules_man

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, and I think I was going to order HID conversions for the fog lights, but I think I will just order brighter lights to put in it. I'll probably go with what you did.

17. swich2mac

swich2mac Go Hard or Go Home!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

18. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

19. Jon S

Jon S Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    where did you get the LEDs from?

20. RadioZero

RadioZero Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    this thread needs to be a sticky. please sticky this thread.

wow, ask and ye shall receive. thanks for the sticky.

2 people like this.