1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced Turn Signals, Fog Lights, High Beams, Parking Lights & Rear License Plate Bulbs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by stream, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The parking lights are rather easy, it was the fog lamps that while not hard just took a bit more time.

The drivers side parking light is easy, just grab hold and twist on the connector. I wore a pair of those gardening gloves with the silicon dimples on them for a bit extra grip, plus so I didn't touch the old bulb with my bare hands and get oil on it.

The passenger side, you need to take off the one bolt that connects to the clamp which holds onto the black hose right behind the headlamp housing. Then lift up a bit on the hose and move it out of the way. reach on in and twist... I've got big hands and got it so keep trying, they'll eventually loosen up for ya' and 'untwist'.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What did you use for the bulbs? I've been looking for licence plate bulbs but can't find a good one. Would you recommend the place you got them?

Thanks!

Edit: I guess I should've read the other thread first lol.

3. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I posted this in the http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...68171-interior-led-lighting-2.html#post979585 thread, but since this one's a sticky and in case anyone needs help changing out the door and map light bulbs, here's some very basic instructions:

[​IMG]
    another view of the clip after pushing in on it and lifting up
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] __________________

And the map lights:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please though, any discussion about interior LED lighting, let's keep it in the http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...68171-interior-led-lighting-2.html#post979585 thread. Thanks all!

2 people like this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm... you have a V yet you have the push-switch maplight, instead of the separate maplight button I thought I saw at Detroit. (with Safety Connect)

5. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Yeah, I don't have the safety connect (I am glad I do not) because my car was the first in NY back in June... I like the look of the black circle for the safety connect better than the big switch I have but that's about it lol.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah the discs are only available on the moonroof models in Canada.

7. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Excuse my being uninformed, but what black circle are you guys referring to? And what's Safety Connect?

8. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

[​IMG]

Safety Connect:

http://behindthewheelnews.toyota.com/?id=228&by=&fTrk=

Use the search function on the forums, there are plenty of threads discussing more about it.

1 person likes this.
  9. HI MPG

HI MPG Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Paradox. I thought that was what it was and your post confirmed it...
    I have the black circle with mine but without the Safety Connect button, although I probably would prefer the push-switch maplights. The push-switch ones are so much easier to use and locate at night when you want the light on instead of trying to locate a toggle switch.
    Uhmm... nevermind. I guess what I'm trying to describe is pushing the light cover to turn on the maplights instead of the two little black buttons on the sides of the circle.

10. donkitchen

donkitchen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Can you explain how to get to the parking lights and fog lights? I looked at replacing the parking lights and didn't see how you can easily access the bulb. Please don't tell me the whole headlight housing needs to be removed.

Also, I'm guessing the fogs will require the inner fender well trim to be removed. Is that correct?

11. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

The above post from post # 1010 in this forum should explain the parking lights. Just pm me if you have trouble. If people would like pictures taken of how to replace the parking lights and the fog lights let me know I'll try and get pics up later in the day (I'll have to go take them first)

The fog lights I did the day I got the car but I think it just involved taking off a clip (one of those round ones that kind of act like a turkey pop up timer) and a screw with a hex head from a black panel directly under the car in each corner of the front bumper. The fun part is once they are off (well not off, I just pulled the front of the panel down and stuck my hand inside there) you cannot really see inside there easily so everything your doing you do my feel.

12. donkitchen

donkitchen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks. I'll give it a shot. And while I can probably manage without the pictures, I'm sure folks would appreciate the visual aid moving forward.

13. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As I've stated--several times in this thread ;)--the owner's manual contains bulb replacement instructions.

1 person likes this.
  14. donkitchen

donkitchen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry, the thread got kind of long and I guess I was being lazy. Thanks again for pointing this out. Has all the info I need :mod:

15. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Well call me dumb I guess. I figured you had just looked at it already and still had some questions... ;)

The manual was what I went to to get a basic idea of how to replace them all...

16. krouebi

krouebi 2012 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

A very good and informative thread :rockon: - thanks a lot!

However, while replacing the low-beam halogens on the models with conventional headlights with Xenon retrofit units might be questionable, replacing the high beam bulbs should not really be an issue, as anyhow high beams are not to be used when any other traffic is in sight.

I have the version with LED low-beams (which are absolutely excellent), but the reach and particularly the color difference when you turn on the conventional HB3 high-beams is really :mad:.

Fortunately I still had a set of Chinese-made HB3 Xenon retrofits from my former Lexus RX400h (which also suffered from this design flaw), and putting them in the Prius was really easy. As most of these kits, the hardware is technically OK (the "hotspot" on the Xenon burner corresponds exactly to the placement of the filament in the HB3 bulb), the wiring and connections are of a good quality, and connections are really "plug & play".

The result is absolutely convincing: The high beams (4300 K) much more closely match the color of the LED's, and the high beam itself is REALLY far and wide reaching, very uniform - no streaks or black spots anywhere.

I drive a lot in dark conditions - and on stretches of road where I can keep the high beams on for long distances. I would not be able to this kind of driving safely with the stock bulbs - with the Xenons a 400-mile drive through the night is kid's play :D.

Fitting is easy - and the ballasts have found their places: Passenger side over the expansion tank of the coolant system (fitted to existing bolts), driver's side fitted to the fuse box cover (fitted with short bolts & nuts, not protruding on the inside of the cover and additionally isolated).

17. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,
    I went throught he entire thread and I did not see where anyone had replaced their turn signals with LEDs? Please forgive me if that was covered. If anyone has and didn't post their results, please do.

Thanks,
    Peter

1 person likes this.
  18. krouebi

krouebi 2012 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone in Japan switched his fogs and indicators to LEDs but I never got a reply from him/her. Probably doesn't know English...