1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement 05 MFD Display Screen?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by feivel, May 25, 2010.

1. feivel

feivel Junior Member

MFD Display Screen Compatibility?

I drive a super white 05 Prius. No Navigation or JBL or Bluetooth. Just an awesome car.

A truck decided to merge into me and hit the brakes. I managed to avoid them, and any other oncoming cars, but an object in back dislodged itself and cracked my Multi Function Display screen. It's dead. :( Apparently since I missed all of the vehicles, there was no "accident" so I may or may not be able to get reimbursed through insurance.

So I'm trying to figure out my options. I've read all the posts I can find on this board (thanks for such a great community!) From what I've read, there is a difference between the 04-05 and the 06+ MFDs. What I can't figure out is compatibility.

Here's a first question: is there an up-side to this? Can I put in a 2006+ display? Will it work? Will I get anything better? (higher resolution/aux/maybe camera option/etc...) Can I use the 06+ display at all? Are they completely incompatible with my 05?

Steve at AutoBeYours was amazingly helpful, but basically said I was SOL with a cracked screen. Still, a very respectable fellow. Thanks!

I'm trying to figure out how to obtain the display directly. This seems like a potentially good deal: Ebay and the advert claims that it's for 04-09s. Can this be true? Does that mean it's an 06+? Would it be compatible with my 05? The code on his is 86110–47081. Should I stay away?

I'd love any advice anyone can toss my way about this. It's so sad seeing smashed glass in my dashboard now.

Thanks!

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Our 04 (and 05) screens are lower res than newer models. But there are plenty old/cheep mfd's on ebay ... and salvage yards ... rebuilds, etc and pretty cheep. They're modular, so removal/install is very simple. I added a nav over ride, requiring the unit be accessed, and found the install to be very easy. Good luck!

3. feivel

feivel Junior Member

Thanks! I am indeed trying to find salvaged ones, and there is a fellow nearby with a 2007, and I think the ebay ones are newer too, and I don't know if they can work in my 05. Compatibility advice please?