1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement Battery Pack at a Great Price

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Jeremyandres75, Feb 20, 2018.

1. Jeremyandres75

Jeremyandres75 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have a Gen 2 Prius and the battery pack was no longer optimal. To get a replacement pack installed by the dealership, new or used, would've been Way too expensive. I found a company called "KUBT" that sold me a BRAND NEW battery pack that can be installed in both Gen 2 and Gen 3 Prius' for only $1595.99 plus shipping. Thought I would share with the Prius community here on Priuschat. Here's a youtube video. Cheers!

kenoarto likes this.
  2. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    777BETO, kenoarto and Prodigyplace like this.
  3. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Although @2k1Toaster's pack uses the same brackets, he sources cells that actually perform as specified.He tested the other cells at about half their rated capacity. He has many satisfied users. He charges $1600 including shipping and has a 2 year unlimited miles warranty.
    One of our experts, @ericbecky put over 3000 miles on a kit before temporarily loaning it out to a customer.He filed some reports in that thread and had absolutely no issues.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't forget Toyota sells packs for only about $500 more.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pretty sure someone here got a toyota pack for $1,600. recently.

kenoarto likes this.
  6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was likely $25 to $75 more than that.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could well be, she had a 15% off coupon which they accepted, iirc.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    googled kubt, but can't find a prius battery.(n)

9. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    You know.. you can just post under your own username and not try to make it seem like a fake reviews.. all we ask here is for some stats of the capacity with any tests done to the battery to test it's reliability. Toaster2k1's has been tested, is upfront, and costs exactly the same, so you got quite an uphill battle atm. Not to mention oem batteries now dropping in price. Lots of good news for prius owners... regardless.

10. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The above link is non working FYI to OP

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't hold your breathe, looks like a 1 post and run user. Was seen 1y 47w ago.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  12. Linda49

Linda49 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone bought a reconditioned hybrid battery from Green Bean Battery? Were you satisfied?

13. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Stay far away from any company selling reconditioned batteries. They repair them using used modules that have not yet failed and cannot afford the time to properly rebalance and test the pack. You will most likely end up with a car that could leave you stranded at any time.

The best options are either a new pack from Toyota or, if you do your own repairs, the kit of new cells for $1600 delivered from newpriusbatteries.com. The link is in my signature. @2k1Toaster here sells a proven solution.

14. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would stay away from custom modules that you can only get from one source.

Buying a regular pack is better because if it goes bad you can get the modules anywhere.

Green Bean is better than any other hybrid battery company.
    Simply with the warranty.

People here will argue and complain about them but they really have never used them and just want to pass the buck over to someone on here.

15. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem with "rebuilt/remanufactured" second-hand batteries is longevity. If you get more than 1 year out of these batteries you are doing well. Warranty is as good as the company that provides them, but it wears a bit thin when you are on your 4th replacement (sometimes, after the first failure, in as many months) with the car being constantly out-of-service while waiting for the installer to come back to replace the HV battery. There were high hopes for Green Bean, but reports are coming in that they are having failures too. While we might not have personal experience (and for me personally, I will never have personal experience of a rebuilt), we can't deny the knowledge that comes in via PriusChat of problems that people have with "rebuilt/remanufactured" HV batteries.

Having said that, if you think spending ~$1,500 on a second-hand HV battery vs $1,600 to $1,950 (plus install cost, if not DIY) for all brand new modules, then that can be an option. The big difference is the second-hand battery will last 1-2 years if you are lucky to get a good rebuild (or less than 1 year, if you are unlucky) vs 10+ years for a new replacement. It all depends on what you require, in the end.

People that enthusiastically promote second-hand batteries usually do so until theirs starts faulting, then they usually disappear and are never heard from again.

Raytheeagle and Mavi like this.
  16. Mavi

Mavi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    If it ain't new modules.. even if they are the best rated refurbisher.. it will fail in short order. If that's 3 years vs the really bad ones that fail within a year or less they will fail sooner rather than later. It's not worth their costs. Get the one from newpriusbattery for 1600 shipped or get the official one from toyota if you find them for around 2k from dealer or less. They will last you 8-10 years depending on use. Refurbs 1-3 tops.

Raytheeagle and dolj like this.
  17. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You might be the ONLY person on here who thinks that.

Their warranty is only useful IF you don't mind going back to them over and over and OVER again as their used cells continue to fail one at a time every couple of months.....or weeks.

18. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I guess I am that person happy to tell the next person to save your money and get a better warranty.

I saved myself so much money replacing one module myself and I will be here always saying Green Bean is where to go.

I wonder if you felt this way when AutoZone opened or any other parts store and they offered a limited or lifetime warranty?

19. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And you say it over and over. Did it ever occur to you that different solutions work for different people and that no one solution is "the way to go" for everyone? For example, for someone who travels long stretches of back roads, a lifetime warranty is of little use if you get stuck.

And by the way, I am one of the people that you say "just want to pass the buck over to someone on here", which you seem to resent. I do so because I consider that a good option for some people. No conspiracy involved.

IMO, you should take a softer tone that is more respectful of others.

#19 royrose, Jul 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2020
    edthefox5 and Raytheeagle like this.
  20. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Feel how you feel buddy and yes there are different solutions and Green Bean is one.

royrose likes this.