1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement Headlight Suggestions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by brakeshoe87, Mar 2, 2017.

1. brakeshoe87

brakeshoe87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have searched the forum and haven't found exactly what I am looking for. Not to say it isn't there somewhere.

My 2012 Prius does not provide as good visibility at night as I would like. According to the dealer the lights are adjusted properly. I am looking for a replacement light bulb that provides more light. I am not looking for a kit, or any sort of mod. I am strictly looking for light bulbs I can buy and take to the dealer to have them install the replacement bulbs.

I also recently experienced my second burnout of the low beam on the passenger side. This occurred several months after the dealer replaced the old bulb. I read about the Headlight durability enhancement on 2010-11 models, but that does not seem to apply to 2012 models. Does anyone have any thoughts on if this is a coincidence or indicative of a problem. Again I am not looking for DIY projects just your thoughts.

2. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What bulbs have you tried that you don't like? Also, do you have fog lights? Don't skimp on the bulbs in the fog lights, I notice the difference when my fog lights are on vs. off. I run Sylvania Silverstar Ultra in both headlights and fog lights.

#2 NavyLCDR, Mar 2, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  3. brakeshoe87

brakeshoe87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have only used the stock Toyota lights

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I found the Sylvania Silverstars to give out superior light without modification. However, the first one burned out in 6 months. I chalked it up to faulty installation. I got oil on it even though I wore gloves. When the second burned out in less than a year, I began to wonder.

I put back the bulbs that came with the car and they are still working 5 years later so I'm going to avoid Silverstars. I'm using regular Sylvania bulbs in my other vehicles. My plan is to wait for LEDs to mature. They are direct plug in replacements but currently have less light output than incandescent.