1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement Horn?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Yaesu, Sep 5, 2022.

1. Yaesu

Yaesu Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would like to replace the inadequate sounding horn on my 2010 Prius. Has anyone replaced their horn? If so, what did you replace it with, and were their any changed necessary to the wiring or mounting of the old horn?

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    https://priuschat.com/index.php?threads/88297/

FYI, you don't have to remove the front Toyota emblem unless your car is equipped with DRCC.

FIAMM High/Low note horns, in my experience are the best.

FIAMM 72102 Freeway Blaster HIGH Note Horn https://a.co/fN83YOT

FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster LOW Note Horn https://a.co/39yaeYs

I tried Hella horns, but they failed just past the 30 day Amazon return window.

I have installed FIAMM Freeway Blaster horns in 3 cars (2011 Prius, 2014 Corolla, and 2016 Corolla) with no problems.

You need to have basic electrical experience/tools and will have to add an extra wire to the second horn. Additionally, wire, electrical terminals, wire cutters, terminal crimper tool, and heat shrink tubing or electrical tape are needed.

It's in the thread linked at the top of the this post.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#2 xliderider, Sep 5, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  3. Yaesu

Yaesu Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. I ordered the Freeway Blasters. My concern was compatibility with aftermarket horns. Years ago I had a couple problems connecting horns to more modern vehicles (at that time), because modern vehicles switched the ground instead of the positive part of the circuit and therefore the horn had to be isolated from the steel body of the vehicle.

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nope, the Freeway Blaster horns are grounded via ring terminal connectors under the mounting nut(s) to the negative connector on the back of the horn.

No separate relay is needed for the Toyota installation.

Picture is my Corolla, there is an available threaded bolt hole on the frame that is perfect for the second horn. An extension wire runs from the positive terminal from horn closest to the OEM horn wire and the second horn's positive terminal.

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Here is the picture, couldn't upload it in edit mode in previous post. 20220905_084146.jpeg

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a pair of Freeway Blasters on my '17 Prime and my wife's Prius 2. I installed them immediately after this idiot pulling a trailer completely ignored the little toy horns that are standard in all Japanese cars that I know of.

xliderider likes this.
  7. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep, just last week, had to put the Freeway Blasters to good use twice in one day.

They sure wake up the inattentive driver who doesn't check their blindspot before lane changing into my lane. Usually without signaling the move as well.

#7 xliderider, Sep 5, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    jerrymildred likes this.
  8. Yaesu

Yaesu Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think you were in his blind spot and he obviously didn't check over his shoulder before cutting your off. The horn in your car was very feeble.

All of my motorcycles have very loud airhorns. They all require relays, which I don't intend to do with the Prius.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My last two bike were where I got started with the Fiamms. I made a pickup driver hit his head on the roof of his truck once. He hadn't even glanced in his mirror or turned his head one little bit. And his window was open and he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. (I also used relays and heavier wire on the motorcycles to make sure the horns got full power and I didn't melt any wires. Same with the driving lights.

10. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota uses a version of these horns branded with their labels in thir premium vehicles and as an aftermarket accessory upgrade.

Piaa 85110 115db 400HZ + 500HZ Sports Horn

They work with the current wiring and are a direct replacement of the OEM horns.

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I use the compact air horn from the Italian company makes for boats . I want train horn its in garage but it's too large.