1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement key fob/remote for Australia

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Giesse, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Giesse

Giesse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I've been reading about the methods of obtaining and programming a replacement key fob (Chicken Dance etc) which all sounds fine, however it seems that the Australian remotes use a different frequency and are therefore not compatible with the US ones. So... does anyone know if it's possible to get a replacement fob in Australia, other than a genuine Toyota one (which, I'm sure, will cost me an arm and a leg, and possibly a kidney or two)?

2. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You can buy one on EBay. You can also just buy the shell and buttons on EBay.

3. Giesse

Giesse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Replacement shell - yes. The remote itself... not seeing them. There is currently a secondhand one which is a NON Smart Key version, but mine is the i-Tech, so I need the one that supports keyless entry. And that seems to be all that's listed.

I've also read that you can't re-use a previously used key on another vehicle, but other people say that you can. So I'm not sure at all.

4. mrea0979

mrea0979 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Did you ever have any luck?
    I just bought a 2007 itech with only one key and would like to get a spare without spending $400 with toyota

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    times have changed. contact some lock smithys to see if they can help.

6. Giesse

Giesse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, sorry. I didn't manage to find a spare key and I no longer have the car so I stopped looking.

bisco likes this.