1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement MFD numbers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Gwyneth, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Gwyneth

Gwyneth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I'm replacing the MFD on my 2004 Prius, and I have a couple of questions regarding the correct replacement. (I'll be buying it off eBay.)

My MFD's # is 66110-47080. Its Fujitsu TEN # is 134000-2690A101.

I had always heard that it's critical to replace with the same MFD number, but recently I've heard that you can replace a 47080 with a 47081. Is this true?

I'm not even sure what the Fujitsu TEN number represents, but how important is it to replace with the same number here? Most of the 47080s that I've seen on eBay have a Fujitsu TEN number of 134000-26900101 (i.e., a 0 in place of my A).

My Prius was one of the very first Gen 2s sold in this country, so my MFD is one of the oldest Gen 2 ones around. Assuming that these numbers are all interchangeable, would I be better off going for an MFD with newer numbers, as it would ostensibly be newer? Of course, this is complicated by the fact that my car has needed zero repairs (other than the MFD) up to this point; the thing is a beast! So maybe I'd be better off with a replacement MFD that has my original numbers (thinking that it might be made around the same early time in the same run as my near-faultless car)?

Are there any other considerations I should be thinking about that I haven't mentioned?

I greatly appreciate any and all advice and information. Thanks in advance!

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    That’s not a valid part number; perhaps you meant 86110-47080.
    Yes. In catalog Figure 86-03, Navigation & Front Monitor Display, the part number listed for the multi-display assembly is 86110-47081-C0, and if you click that number, the detail page lists 86110-47080 under “Supersessions,” meaning ’081 is a replacement for ’080. Technical Service Bulletin EL002-05, “Multi-Display Functions are Inoperative,” previously posted on PriusChat (PDF), explains that ’081 is a revised part, developed to fix certain malfunctions. Other Toyota sources confirm that 86110-47081 and 86110-47081-C0 are equivalent; the hyphens are not significant.
    FUJITSU TEN—known as DENSO TEN since 2017 (PDF)—is the Toyota supplier that made the multi-display assembly, and the numbers you saw are their part numbers, useful only to them and Toyota. As long as the Toyota part number is 86110-47080, 86110-47081, or 86110-47081-C0, the display should work in your car; I’d recommend one of the latter two.

Kactus and bisco like this.
  3. Gwyneth

Gwyneth Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thank you so much for the info! I really appreciate it.

I'm embarrassed that I had a typo in the part number. I sincerely thought I'd proofread my post well; I guess I didn't.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  4. Kactus

Kactus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    fantastic useful info! thanks for posting.

Elektroingenieur likes this.
  5. Kactus

Kactus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    hi Elektroingenieur .... thought i'd ask you this since you seem so MFD-knowledgable.. I'm getting the "Check the connection of the air conditioner" on MFD. All the boards say the most likely cause is a bad MFD. I've ordered two separate used replacement MFDs from Ebay and i'm still getting the same error message?

Do you know what might be causing this error message? Perhaps both used MFDs I tried were also faulty? But they came from reputable sources and it's unlikely both would be bad.

Thanks in advance! John