1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement radio antenna doesn't fit?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by spycake, Dec 10, 2012.

1. spycake

spycake Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just bought a used 2005 Prius and noticed there was no radio antenna!

So I bought a cheap whip style one on eBay, with the following specs:

Length: 16" / Base Width: 0.5". Thread Diameter: 5mm / Thread Length: 6mm

But the dang thing won't screw into my base. Seems like the diameter is a little too large? I measured and it seems to match those specs and the seller maintains that it should fit a 2005 Prius (among many other cars too). Any ideas? Or any links to cheap generics that are known to fit? I'm pretty sure my base is the original one.

(Also noticed that the license plate screws are rusted and immovable, so that should be fun!)

2. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Take a look into the Antenna Socket, and make sure the threads are not bunged up. It should be easy to spot, if they are, you can try to save the socket by retapping the threads. It will take the proper bottom tap and a tap handle to re-tap the hole. That's a 20 second job that takes about $50 + bucks worth of tools.
    I hate to submit this, but take a trip to your dealers parts dept, see if they have a new antenna for your car. Compare to the ebay special and see of the threads are the same pitch and it's the proper diameter. If indeed the Toyota has a different thread pitch and diameter than the ebay one, I would just cut my losses there, buy the Toyota antenna and it will probably fit and work just fine!