1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement speakers for 2012 Prius (non-JBL system)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by cappy2112, Jun 2, 2016.

1. cappy2112

cappy2112 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are there any aftermarket (or factory) speakers for a 2012 Prius, that really make the audio system sound better? When I listened to the "enhanced audio system (JBL?) option, I couldn't hear a noticeable difference.

Does anyone have any recommendations for replacement speakers, that make a difference
    for a 2012 Prius?

Thanks

2. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I tried a three different sets of aftermarket door speakers and IMO they sounded unbalanced compared to stock. I had improved results with just sound proofing the doors, trunk and getting thick rubberized floor mats. It was cheaper and easier than dealing with drills and rivets. Crutchfield has a set of matched Focal component speakers but they are on the expensive side ($300). The dash speakers are probably one of the most critical speakers in our non-JBL setup. You can hardly hear the door speakers so I would just ignore them. These are just my findings with reading the forum and tinkering myself.

Ashim123 likes this.
  3. Prius 5

Prius 5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would not recommend the factory speakers. I have the factory JBL system in a 2014 and it sounds pretty bad. My old 2008 Prius with factory JBL had a much better sound. The Toyota dealer says it’s designed to sound like it does, which is unfortunate. I may be adding new speakers along with an equalizer.

4. rj250

rj250 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II