1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement Sun visor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Dummy, May 13, 2023.

1. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I’m about to order a new sun visor from Toyota for $70. When I google it Amazon has plenty for Corollas and Highlanders for $20-30 but none for an 05 Prius. Can anyone confirm if one of these will work for my Prius.

2. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Link???

I would pick one up from an LKQ or other junk yard.

How did you break a sun visor???

3. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Didn’t break it off. The rotation mechanism is screwed up. I made another post about it a while back. What link do you want?

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    No sun visors are pretty model specific to the car the way they mount the plug for the vanity light all of that stuff I've had went through this with a van sienna It was a real pain in the what what I ended up doing was taking a real later model van I had an '01 I took like an '05 or an '07 brand new visor that I got off eBay for $35 got it off its metal rod did the same with the one in my 01 van and slid the new one on I lost the mirror lite But got a brand new visor on the vehicle the old one was looking terrible

5. pasadena_commut

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Link to the replacement visor you were considering.

While it might be possible to fix the "rotation mechanism" I would just get a whole visor from a junk yard or other used parts supplier.

6. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All the ones I’ve found in salvage yard’s around here are missing the visors. I’m a little Leary of buying a used one from eBay .

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty sure most Corolla interior parts are the same as Gen2... Please post the links so we can study the details of them for you...

I recently realized that a 2013 Corolla has same front seats as Gen2 Prius and am eager to confirm because the price break on that is huge...

Maybe this could turn into a thread where we all share which parts from other Toyotas are compatible with Prius?

For example the Oil pan for Prius C is compatible with Yaris and Gen2 and any other Toyota that uses the same size engine...

SFO likes this.
  8. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This one is for a highlander and appears to be shaped the same. It has the additional feature of the slide out extender that the Prius doesn’t have.

4Runner

I am still unclear on why you want a link to tell me if the visors are interchangeable. The part numbers could be different and still work. I was hoping that someone here had done this before and could confirm for me.

9. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    For only $70= Buy the new one at the dealer
    Problem solved!!!!

10. Dummy

Dummy Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The only one I found at the dealer is gray. I need a tan one. And I’d also rather pay $30 than $70.

11. pasadena_commut

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The one's you linked don't have the electrical connection for the light in the visor. You may not care about that. Unfortunately it is going to make the tools on Ebay or Amazon for "does it fit my car" fail for a 2004-2009 Prius, even if it would otherwise fit. The 4Runner one at least has the screw holes for the hinge mount in roughly the right place, whereas the Highlander one is very different and it won't fit.

The problem is there are (at least) 4 key variables even ignoring the electrical connection:

1. The spacing between the two screw holes on the hinge mount (assuming that they are in line with the pivot in the center).
    2. The diameter of the screw holes. (Probably could work around this by drilling out or using washers.)
    3. The distance from the hinge mount to the center of the clamp bar.
    4. The diameter of the clamp bar.

If any of those are off the replacement won't fit. What are those values? Well, you can measure them on the one you have but good luck finding out what they are for anything you see posted on line.

Here is a 2007 Corolla visor, it looks like "4" is a miss (but hard to say for sure, no scale on anything):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/334169462830

Using the matching clamp holder for that Corolla would get around "4", assuming that it will fit into the roof hole for the Prius.

Maybe you can fix the mechanism on the one you have? What is wrong with it?

Umm, never mind, looks like plastic parts inside break and either cannot be fixed, or the fix looks like it won't last long either:

12. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Would visors from a Matrix or Vibe fit?