1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement tire recommendation?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Gwynngal, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just got the 2007 Prius I meant to get 6 years ago! It only has 40,000 miles but the original tires are worn and need to be replaced. I have only had the car 24 hours but the ride seems stiff, rough and noisy. Maybe I just forgot what driving a small car is like, but could different tires improve the road noise? I bought a Prius b/c I wanted fantastic mileage BUT NOT at the cost of safety. Rain is more apt to be an issue here in Tidewater Virginia than snow (usually) so that needs to get some consideration too. I've read some threads regarding tires, but I'd really like to hear some suggestions. Thanks!

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If your model is a touring, you may have difficulty in getting certain brands.

Top Winner in my book is the Michelin Energy A/S - very expensive. Very good LRR tire that has excellent traction. A lot better than the OEM Goodyear Integrity.

Bridgestone Ecopia 422 is number 2 in my book.

The main thing you want if you are interested in MPG is a good LRR type tire. F8L posted a list a while back that is dated, but does have good information that you can add to your knowledge.

Low Rolling Resistance replacement tires: Current List | PriusChat

Check out the information above and also study what is available on tirerack.com

Best of luck to you and enjoy your new to you Prius! Also welcome to Prius Chat!

3. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you for taking time for such a thorough answer. Safety (traction) is a bigger concern for me than fuel economy or tread life. Walmart has the Energy Saver for $118 at the moment. I'm leaning toward them. The only other local tire shop is Merchant's and I haven't been impressed with their ethics or quality, but I am far from an expert!
    I am so looking forward to squeezing distance out of gas! Thanx!

4. cpico

cpico Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Car: 2007 Prius (basic)
    I just replaced my Ecopia EP100 tires (Bridgestone) with 65k mile warranty. Here is the data of the old tires:
    *Number of miles: 80,200 miles (we still has 3/16" tread left) over 5 years
    *MPG: 54.5 (averaged over about 20,000 miles and consistent with before). The mpg was identical to older tires.

I replaced them with Ecopias EP422 in April 2014:
    *Price of replacement Ecopias: $85/tire + labor and taxes => $528 total cost for all four tires, free rotation/balance.
    * new MPG: 54.2 over the first few tankfuls... not yet settled down or averaged over seasons.

Needless to say, I'm pleasantly pleased with this tire family.

About driver (my spouse):
    mid-50's age, agriculture tech (i.e. not related to Firestone where I purchased them)
    Central Coast California: includes coastal low rolling hills and 2000 ft mountains when going to San Francisco. In addition, typical travel ranges Napa Valley to Santa Barbara

5. Gwynngal

Gwynngal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I put on Michelin Energy Saver A/S Tire P185/65R15 86T that I bought at Walmart for $118 each [and $23 UPROMISE reward from Walmart for grandkid's college fund!]

Ride is considerably quieter and a bit smoother than it was before. I didn't have mpg history to compare but since warm weather came, I am averaging a tad over 50. We'll see how the tires wear now. Thanks for your input! I am now trying to find out how to remove the center armrest to reglue the fabric!

6. engerysaver

engerysaver Real Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is your best choose!! (y)
    I have the Michelin Energy Saver A/S on both of my Prius; Great MPG:); and overall a nice ride.:cool: