1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement tire recommendations for a Gen II (2007) Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by camner, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Logangogarty

Logangogarty Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  2. Logangogarty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Found this on the discount tire website "A 91H tire has a load capacity of 1356lbs per tire compared to 1279lbs per tire on an 89H. It is not recommended to mix different ratings on the same axle of a vehicle."

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    As you have found out the number is the load rating for the tyre, the following letter H is the speed rating.

John (Britprius)

4. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Over 137k miles I've had the following tires.

Stock Integras - short lived, nothing spectacular.
    Michelin Hydroedge - great dry or wet, forget about ice.
    Nokian entyre - great winter tire labeled as all season. Short lived.
    Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 - love these. Quite, smooth, improved millage, good wear, good all around performance including snow. I will go with these again.

5. Logangogarty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I would have loved to buy the ecopia EP422 in the 205/55/16 unfortunately costco would not install them because I have the touring edition and on bridgestone tires you can't go below the speed rating which is H in the 205. I had to get the 195 because they had a higher speed rating which makes no sense to me. I'm going to get the other two replaced tonight but I'm considering trying to return the 195s and getting a different tire all together in the 205 because I really wanted a little more clearance for my driveway.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Surely the the EP422's are available in other speed ratings. In the UK/EU standard road tyes are available in all speed ratings except perhaps the very highest where much larger tyres are required anyway.
    H is rated at 130 mph, and the Prius only does 112 mph

John (Britprius)