1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement Tires for 2007 Touring

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by staze, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank goodness my Prius doesn't need tires yet but on other treads (I mean threads - Freudian slip there) I recall others talking about Michelin Hydroedge. I don't know about size availability or rolling resistance, but Michelin can't be beat in my humble opinion, plus I love my Hydroedges on my other (non-Prius) vehicles:) Just a thought.

2. staze

staze Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    unfortunately, you can only get them in the 205's... michelin just doesn't seem to make (m)any tires in the 195/55 size. From the looks of it, it's really not a size that's used much outside of Prius land (and even then, only in the Touring size in the US... Europe and Japan are different stories)... maybe they're start being more popular in the coming years, and we'll see Michelin options... but right now, there's pretty much nothing from him or his dog. =P

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like this thread and the other threads on tires for the Touring like http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-modifications/37637-touring-edition-tire-upgrade.html.

With the Touring model debuting in the 2007 model year, it seems that now is the time that the chickens are beginning to come home to roost, sorta speak (Touring owners' OEM tires are beginning to wear out).

So this all seems to be very useful and timely info.

EDIT: And maybe of direct interest to non-Touring owners as well, as it opens up the discussion and sharing of anectdotal experiences to performance tires and RunFlats (the most common types of tire available in the Touring OEM tire size) and to tires with a 205 tread width (the most common bump up in tire size for Touring owners).

4. staze

staze Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tom,

Definitely a good point, since as I said in the first post of this thread, the dealer didn't really have any recommendations for replacement tires because really, none of the Touring's have started coming in with the need for tires (I put about 25k on my car in about a year and a half, so I'm a bit above the 12k/year average).

Will keep people posted about the results...

5. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Been running the Falken Ziex ZE912 195-55-16s on Touring wheels for 5000 miles now. I think they were about $70 each.

Very happy, excellent tires, quiet, confident and nice looking.

6. staze

staze Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    can I ask where you got them, and what you inflate to? Any MPG loss?

7. misslexi

misslexi Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I posted the online site where I bought these some time ago, I'll see if I can dig it back up. Running 42 front, 40 rear. I can't really speak to loss of MPG as I bought the Prius used with worn stock tires and only put another 1000 miles on them before the switch.

My average is 47 mpg.

8. staze

staze Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    good to hear. Do you know what you paid to get them mounted?

So, I guess I still have no way to figure out whether I should go for the Potenza's or the ZE-912's... I think the retail shop, and money is going to have to decide it for me... because at this point, I can see no real benefit to one or the other other than the extra 10k on the Potenza's, the good CR review on the ZE-912's... I guess also the crappy life of the OEM Bridgestones is a reason not to get the Potenzas...but not a great one.

9. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Staze,

Here was misslexi's previous post about the cost of the 912's:

"I bought the Falken Ziex ze-912's at OnlineTires.com - Buy Tires and Wheels Online. Michelin, Goodyear, Dunlop, Bridgestone Tires. for $73 each. They are in California, shipping cost $42.64 to rural WA."

I guess the thing to do is to run the numbers on OnlineTires.com and DiscountTire.com, look to spend no more than $15 per tire for installation, and then compare those numbers to your Sears dealer's.

10. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    STAZE - from my understanding, the TURANZA'S ARE OEM, NOT POTENZA'S.

11. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  12. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I believe I may have asked this before but I cannot seem to find it. Could anyone tell me which Brand/Model the Touring's 195/55R16's are, in the Southeastern Toyota region, so that I could check the reviews and specs on them? Or can they be different brands?
    BTW the Bridgestone Protegra's seem to have the best treadwear rating, UTQG 460 A A. Our Avalon's MXV4+'s are rated @ 600 A A and we get around ~40K on a set. The price looks right too @ under $100 each. They look more attractive than the $140 Michelin Primacy tires rated @ 240 A A, although the Michelins may well handle better.
    Thanks in advance if you know and thanks anyway if you don't.

Thank you Lefat1: Prius, OEM, Bridgestone Turanza's UTQG, 260 A A, treadware rating is slightly better than the Michelins, but only about half of the Protegta's. Just for comparison.

13. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Tom,

What can you tell me about run-flats, other than they don't go flat? I have looked for info about them on tire rack but it doesn't really say much. I was basing my choice on their LRR factor. Other than that I don't really have a clue of the advantages/disadvantages of run flats vs other tires in regards to mpg, noise, comfort. On my other cars I never really cared what they replaced them with.

14. lefat1

lefat1 Fat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    bridgestone turanzas

15. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Neicy,

I don't know much about them either except (1) they're expensive, and (2) I think they ride harder -- stiff sidewalls that don't collapse when there's a hole or otherwise no air in the tire.

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think they're the Bridgestone Turanza EL400-02. TireRack.com sells them in the Touring OEM size for $112:

Currently Available Prices and Sizes

17. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks!

18. staze

staze Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    yes, I know. And I'm looking to replace them.

19. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Consider the weight of the tire as well.

20. staze

staze Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ???