1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacement Wheel bearings

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tedjohnson, Oct 18, 2014.

1. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Seems a lot of folks are needing wheel bearings replaced early in life. Mine are going at 95Kmi, some have been shot at under 50Kmi. Apparently on the 3rd Gen Prius the wheel bearings are ball type instead of the older roller type - I guess to reduce bearing friction. Timken makes a higher priced version that might be a better choice for those planning to drive their 3rd gen for a long while. Got over 300 Kmi on my old 2000 Honda Insight with never a bearing replacement. Anyone with opinions on replacing with the Toyota OEM that fail earlier, or going with the Timken ?

Pdaddy likes this.
  2. boidies

boidies Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My mechanic thinks it may have something to do with arcing across the bearing. He has seen keyless cars have this issue. My 2013 only went 75k before I replaced both front bearings.

3. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That would be very strange. Any details on that theory? Most wheel bearing failures I've known about on other cars were due to maladjustment or to water (or dirt) intrusion. Has anyone noticed whether their prematurely failed Prius bearings show signs of rust, meaning water got in? Or is this merely a case of inept design? My Subaru went beyond 190K with no trouble in its (ball) wheel bearings. My Mazda went over 600K miles with no trouble from the original bearings on three of its wheels, but the left front pair had to be replaced three times due to water invasion.

4. boidies

boidies Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know where my mechanic got his information, but he also mentioned hearing about it happening inside a transmission of a ford also.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This is our first Toyota, have been Honda since the early eighties. Never had a bearing failure. Did have a few CV joint issues.