1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing 2 Cells

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Bruce Berquist, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Bruce Berquist

Bruce Berquist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I am getting a couple of Torque Battery trouble codes of unbalanced cells and broken connection(s).
    Actually the only two Trouble Codes that come up now on my 2003 Sedan restoration project after I fabricated and installed a new cat and exhaust system.

I pulled the cover and terminal rails off of the battery assembly and found a lot of corrosion on the rail terminal connections and a broken corroded wire in the terminal to the Battery Control Computer. Serious enough that I ordered new rails.

Painstakingly, I have tested each and every cell. Trickle charged a small number of low cells to 7.8+v and they are holding charge at a nominal of 7.6v+/-, as with all the other good cells.

However there are 2 cells that easily take the charge to 7.8+ volts but then, with in 30minutes, discharge down to 1.3v and 3.6v.

I am assuming that this is a non-serviceable issue for these 2 cells and that I need to replace them.

I just ordered 2 gen 1 replacement cells.

So it's now off to another phase in my adventure of restoring my "Little Blueberry" 2003 4 door Sedan.

Any and all input and advice will be greatly appreciated.

#1 Bruce Berquist, Sep 9, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    mroberds likes this.
  2. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, 2 packs dropped under 6V are dead. Ideally if you can perform complete battery balance charging using high voltage (~350V DC) with small current limit like 100mA, usually 350mA is used but I believe capacity of your packs is down to something around 3Ah so that would not be safe.

mroberds and Bruce Berquist like this.