1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing 2015 Prius v tail light

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RRude, Dec 18, 2015.

1. RRude

RRude New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My 2015 Prius v was hit by a neglected cart in the parking lot a few days ago while I was inside the store. The driver's side tail light cover (clear plastic part) was smashed and now there's a 3" x 3" hole in it. I thought it would be an easy fix, costing around $30-$50. It turns out that the entire unit needs to be swapped out.

One mechanic said he can't even get this part for a Prius (almost every other car, yes). Another mechanic thinks he can get one, but says he'll have to get it from Toyota. I took the car to the dealership, and they're quoting me a price of approximately $415 for the part itself.

Is that really the best price I can get? I've never purchased parts on my own before, because typically a non-dealer mechanic can get the part much cheaper than the dealer. I tried a quick Google search and the results were unclear - almost as if it were possible for earlier models, but not for a car this new. I decided to ask here before confusing myself or ordering the wrong thing.

Any guidance at all would be appreciated.

2. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a similar incident with my previous Toyota (1993 Corolla DX Wagon) and I found a replacement light unit (whole assembly, including wiring harness & bulbs & shipping) on eBay for < $100 (this was a while ago, so YMMV) - Good luck!

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    WilDavis likes this.
  4. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I assume your non-dealer mechanic is using aftermarket parts when possible instead of OEM. The independent repair shop owners I've know have bought parts from franchised auto dealers at modest surcharge over what the dealer pays.

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    What about an aftermarket Chinese LED conversion unit? You'd want a pair, but might still be cheaper than the dealership price. Otherwise you're off to the junkyard for a nationwide search.

6. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    E-pay...
    You can find them salvaged from wrecked cars there and save some cash.
    Not that hard to access to change it out.
    [​IMG]

Bill the Engineer

7. Kevin Rendon

Kevin Rendon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    i am having the same problem! is a knockoff just as good as an original?

I'm. thinking a salvage yard now..