1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing 7-button MFD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by polophonic, Jan 25, 2023.

1. polophonic

polophonic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Greetings all! I am looking to replace my 2004 Prius 7-button MFD (it is showing all the symptoms of "MFD unresponsive" Common 2G Problems, and What to Do About Them... | PriusChat).

I can see used units are available online and I hope to be able to do the replacement work myself.

My question here is are there any differences between 4-button and 7-button MFD units? I see some "naked" MFD with part number 86110-47081 but have no idea if they were removed from 4 or 7 button MFD units. Can 4-button MFD be swapped for 7-button MFD?

Any info most appreciated!

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I know 4-button and 7-button units have different part number. The best advice if you want an easy life is to find a replacement unit with the same part number as the one currently in your car.

I'd also steer away from "naked" units.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You want to buy a complete seven button unit with nothing missing It has different plugs than the four button unit You can see this online in a gajillion descriptions and videos No need to rehash it out The seven button has a specific part number etc You want to stay in the parts for 04 to early '06 You can't use the seven to nine years easily generally speaking or something won't work or one button won't function or you will have not this option on the four button whatever so I don't try to rehash this stuff out. I do note that there are some sellers on eBay and wherever Facebook marketplace that are trying to sell the seven button remote for like 400 plus dollars they look brand new in the picture but when you get it it won't be brand new it's used out of a well '04 or 5 car and usually the buttons are worn out they're turning white around the white letters where they've been pushed and messed with for nearly 20 years etc so you have to talk to those people and see what's really going on and make them send you a picture of what they're shipping or you may not be happy to have GPS and all that there has to be a GPS DVD reader etc under the seat in the car came with the car all that You cannot upgrade that GPS easily In other words the last time there was an update was I don't know 2013-2010 some of the guys here know so your GPS will be forever out of date which is easily rectifiable with your phone or one of these car play cigarette lighter Bluetooth head units or whatever they are like have been discussed here many times. So just be careful ask the right questions when you're purchasing and you should be able to wind up with a seven button MFD working in your car without issue