1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing a 2008 Prius front wheel bearing hub assembly an easy way.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by timespell, Dec 17, 2018.

1. timespell

timespell Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi everyone, I just replaced my left side front wheel hub assembly on my 2008 prius. And I found an easy way to do it. But this is for hub assemblies that come off easy. And mine was so because when I originally replaced with a new Moog one, it proved defective, and the first replacement proved defective. So, when removing the last one it was easy.

First will not go into detail, but you first you have to jack up the front left side and remove the wheel. And then remove the caliper and caliper bracket and rotor. Then remove the spindle nut. After removing the spindle nut, push the CV joint back so its almost out of the steering knuckle. Mine was missing the small hub dust cover and when I checked neither side had one, so didn't have to remove the speed sensor. And even with that small dust cover missing, have been driving with no problem with the speed sensor.

Once you back out the CV joint, you have easy access to the for 14mm bolts holding the hub assembly on. Remove all 4 bolts and pull the hub assembly out (should be easy all of the time if the darn factory used anti-seize before installing the hub assembly) Be careful not to bend the wheel dust cover that is held on by the hub assembly. Clean out and use anti-seize on the back of the hub assembly and on the steering knuckle where it fits into. Then take the hub assembly with the dust cover behind it and place into the steering knuckle making sure to line up the CV spindle to fit into the hub and push the spindle through. Then line up the 4 bolt holes with the hub and wheel dust cover, screw in the 4 bolts and torque to 41 foot lbs. Then screw on the spindle nut and torque to 159 ft. lbs. (I'm weak so had to use a cheat bar on my torque wrench). Than replace rotor and caliper bracket, followed by the caliper. coat the face of the hub assembly with anti-seize before placing the wheel on and hand tighten the lug nuts, lower the wheels to the ground and torque the lugs to 96 ft lbs. remove the jack and take the car out for a spin and hope your wheel doesn't fall off!

Through all of this, thank goodness I did not have to remove the steering knuckle and that the hub assembly came out without effort. For those of you replacing the hub assembly for the first time with the original part never replaced--good luck to you on most likely a bitter fight for removal! :)

SFO likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I cry bait-and-switch! A post that sounds like "an easy way" to replace the bearing, that was only "easy" because it hadn't corroded and happened to be easy for you!

If it were always like that, it'd be easy for everybody! :)

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wheel lug tightening torque is 76 ft-lb, BTW.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. AquaJan

AquaJan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What brand bearing did you end up using? I'm shopping for one now and finding a huge range in prices!