1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing a CARB-compliant catalytic outside of California

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Jack Maniaci, Sep 21, 2022.

1. Jack Maniaci

Jack Maniaci Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm seeking a second opinion or a possible workaround for a thorny repair issue.

I'm trying to replace the catalytic converter on a 2011 Prius with an Illinois title and registration.

However, the car was originally purchased from a Toyota dealership in California, and therefore has been configured for CARB-compliant operation. That is, it's configured to pass California smog checks. Or at least it was before the catalytic was stolen.

While I know that installing an aftermarket catalytic would probably cause a smog check failure in California, the important detail here is that the car is registered in Illinois. I only reside in Illinois, and have no plans to drive it to California.

My mechanic believes that the only repair option is to use an OEM Toyota catalytic. He says that due to the way the coolant system is configured in this CARB-compliant version of the 2011 Prius, the use of a cheaper, aftermarket catalytic may result in failure of the Illinois emissions test.

Yet it's proven seemingly impossible to source an OEM replacement catalytic any sooner than December or January. And the price tag for the OEM part is of course staggering.

I'd be grateful to hear about any possible workarounds here, bearing in mind that I don't need to pass the very stringent California emissions test - only the Illinois emissions test. I think someone here in another thread mentioned the use of a "coolant patch" in combination with an aftermarket catalytic. I don't know what that means but would love to find out.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Nope of I were going to do said . I'd pull pipe assy down and see if my muffler guy can splice on a cat made fore vehicle weight like all other cars on road I believe if cat is not got water passages they it or some nonsense a reg cat like a Corolla or Camry will slip right in the install pipe assy connect 02 sensors and drive . If preheatings done at the cat. All bets are off . I haven't had gen3 pipe assy yet on mine . In Gen2 I think this could be done not sure about the 3

Jack Maniaci likes this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Try this thread
    Does Anyone Know How Exhaust Heat Recovery and Recirculation Works? | PriusChat

The big problem with a bypass of the coolant loop and a cheap ineffective catalytic converter is you will likely end up with check engine codes that won't clear. Even Illinois may fail a check engine code plus the light will always be on hiding other more damaging issues as they occur. I would look for a used assembly.

Jack Maniaci and ASRDogman like this.
  4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It will work fine without the pre-heater. The car will just take longer to heat up after a cold start and mileage will suffer without the exhaust pre-heater.

I'd just get one of those cheap eBay cats from Canada and replace it when an OEM quality cat is available.

Tombukt2 and Jack Maniaci like this.
  5. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have you checked local junk yards? And/or search on the net for junk yards that might have one?

Jack Maniaci likes this.
  6. Jack Maniaci

Jack Maniaci Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you for the input, everyone. It was helpful to read all of this before deciding.

Correct, and we do have an emissions test requirement in Illinois (although only in the two most urban regions, namely metro Chicago and right across the river from St. Louis) that it'd likely fail.

Plus, the cost of parts and labor (or time investment to figure out how do a temporary fix myself) are significant when piled on to the additional cost of eventually switching out the quick fix for a new OEM cat. If it wasn't for the unusually low mileage (59K), it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Luckily though...long story short, I remembered that an old friend had semi-recently opted to scrap her Gen 3 Prius after a hybrid battery failure way out in the middle of nowhere. I asked her about it, and it turns out that the local salvage yard had offered her only a small fraction of what she knew the scrap OEM cat to be worth, so she held on to the scrap OEM cat to wait for a better deal. Which I offered.

Mechanic says (after seeing photos of the scrap OEM cat) that, with the addition of a gasket, it should work. The cat does have 175K miles on it, but it's from a source I've known for years and trust to be legit (and thus grossly intact, rather than sliced off with a power tool!).

Anyway. Fingers crossed.

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Shouldn't be any issue . Just a stick swap. I don't think the Gen 3 has the PO420 problem that never ends in the gen 2 at least I haven't seen it in my 2010 or my 2013