1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing a corroded bolt

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bobbintb, May 24, 2022.

1. bobbintb

bobbintb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've been having issue with my 2012 Prius, the whole engine shutter thing. So I did all the recommended stuff, clean EGR valve/pipe/cooler, replace PCV valve, replace spark plugs, and clean intake manifold. I forget the name of the part, but I believe it's the air intake system, right before I remove the intake manifold. Anyway, two of the four bolts are corroded. One actually broke. They are M6-1.0 x 50mm flanged hex bolts and half threaded. Oddly, I'm having a hard time finding them locally. I have only found some fully threaded ones at Home Depot. I haven't asked the dealer but now I'm wondering if I should replace them with something sturdier. There was a lot of oil in there that I had to clean out and I suspect that caused much of the corrosion. I guess it was Zinc plated because it was white. Any suggestions? Should I see what the dealer has? Find something more corrosion resistant?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Throttle body?

As the picture shows, some cars used four bolts (91551-80650), and some cars used two of those and two studs with nuts.

I would just head for the dealer and ask for a couple 91551-80650 bolts and call it a day. Some things aren't worth the trouble to scrounge up substitutes for, even if it's a pretty easy scrounge.

[​IMG]

jzchen likes this.
  3. bobbintb

bobbintb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yes, I believe that's it. I did notice the difference as the NutzAndBoltz video had the two and tow while mine had four. Probably a good idea. This things had been taken apart for far too long as it is. Thanks.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Edit: posted in wrong thread.

Attached Files:

#4 xliderider, May 24, 2022
    Last edited: May 25, 2022