1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing a few parts, ebay?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Sync801, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Sync801

Sync801 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey its been a minute since I been on here but now I got some new content. I've noticed there isnt too much information about these cars as far as DIYs and stuff and videos because people rarely ever have issues with them. Anyways, I've got a few things I need to repair. I'll post pics below but those things include:
    1. front bumper cover (was wondering about ordering it off of ebay since it comes painted to match factory specs)
    2. hood (dent)
    2. driver side fender (previously replaced but wasnt lined up correctly, now got dents in the new one)
    3. wheel well (self explanatory)
    4. touch up scratches?
    Body shop is out of budget and I'm a DIY kinda person but if worse comes to worse I'll end up coughing up the dough and taking it in. My main thing is parts off of ebay. Does anyone have any experience with these parts? It says direct fitment and looks pretty close and also the parts come painted in the exact same color as factory.
    Any help would be appreciated.

2. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased a replacement set of front wheel well plastic covers because one was all chewed up from the previous owner and it was a direct fit and no problems. I know my front and rear bumper covers are not factory and they don't fit perfectly especially up front by the headlamps. I don't know if the clips are different or maybe a slight year variable. The paint matches but not a perfect fit up front.

Sync801 likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are tons of mechanical/electrical diy's, (nutzaboutboltz) but for body work, i suppose anything generic will do.

4. Sync801

Sync801 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    anything generic like aftermarket body panels?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm sure there must be, but i have never looked. what about salvage?

Sync801 likes this.
  6. Sync801

Sync801 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    didnt really think about that. Guess it wont hurt to check

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i know body shops often use aftermarket panels. maybe some googling will turn up a supplier.

Sync801 likes this.
  8. Sync801

Sync801 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I originally wanted to get some parts from the dealership but they are also not painted so thats the kinda crappy part I'd have to take em in to a body shop to get it prepped and painted then installed. The driver side fender thats bent in was an aftermarket part. I'm not sure if the fitment was off, or if the frame damage underneath the fender caused it to not line up correctly but I did know one thing, it wasnt easy to put on thats for sure. I mean taking off the front bumper cover is a piece of cake I think, so I wouldnt mind doing that part myself but from what it seems like, the aftermarket parts just dont fit the same as OEM parts and there might need to be some alterations to the aftermarket parts to make it fit correctly. I'm trying to decide whats going to be worth it. Eventually, I might want to trade in my car for something else since I have a clear title, but I would prefer to increase the value of it before doing so because I'm trying to avoid making payments on the car I'm trading in.