1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing a rear passenger door

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by noname87, Jun 27, 2018.

1. noname87

noname87 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2008 Prius that has a rear passenger door that is severely scratched. The door opens and closes properly. The body shop quoted 1800 for the repair. I found a used door on EBay that is the same color (seaside pearl) from a 2006 car. How hard would it be to swap the door. It looks like a reasonably doable job except I am concern how difficult it will be to get a proper alignment. While I am handy with tools, I am not looking for a new project. Just trying to make the car look better for my daughter. It doesn't need to be perfect just presentable and water tight.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The rear door is a bit tricky to align perfectly, but if perfect is not what you're looking for, it's an easy swap. I was in your situation and bought a used door for $150 and the car looked 10x better than with the old damaged door. No leaks, can't even tell from far away it wasn't perfectly aligned.

You might want to find a complete door with glass and speakers etc, don't want to be transferring bits from the old door

ITBland, SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    $1800 seems awfully stiff. Did you just get a quote from one body shop? Perhaps you should seek multiple quotes.

Part of the problem is that Seaside Pearl is a tough color to match paint. And you may run into that with the eBay door as well. When it comes to 10-year-old paint, it can be aged differently. What I mean is that if your car was garaged for 10 years, and the donor car sat outside for 10 years (or vice versa), the paint might not match all that well.

(PS: this is the reason why almost all work trucks are painted white! It's the easiest paint to color match!)

JC91006 likes this.