1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing a RHD blower motor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Fragger, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Fragger

Fragger New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After having my blower fan in my Australian (so RHD) 2009 Prius fail due to worn brushes, I've been on a bit of a journey working out how the heck you get this fixed.

I initially replaced the brushes (I just happened to previously work at a brush manufacturer, who was able to assist in getting some replacements for me) but as the commutator was pretty worn, this didn't fix the issue for long.

Pulling the blower motor out has been covered elsewhere here and many thanks to the person who posted those details.

All the blower motors I could find on Amazon, eBay, etc, are for LHD Prii, and it turns out their actual fan is the incorrect set-up for the RHD Prius - it sucks air into the aircon vents. After replacing the aftermarket fan "blades" with the ones on my original motor, I was getting some actual airflow, but very little. Fixing this required reversing the polarity of the cable - which turns out is easy enough. As this is a DC motor, there is no risk to be had by reversing the polarity on the motor - it will just spin the other way. I marked my cable with a paper note stating what had been done, in case future me forgets.

Once you disconnect the cable from the blower motor, you will need to disconnect it from the car - this is a simple job as it's just a clipped connector. Once you do this, on the car end connector, you'll spot a white piece of plastic in the connector. Pry it up and out from the cable end of the connector, and then use a flat-bladed screwdriver to pop the plastic prong up in the actual cable connector for each cable, and switch them. Put back together and you'll actually have a working fan again.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Weird, I've never seen that happen with a squirrel-cage blower. That'll generally always draw the air in along the shaft axis and fling it to the outlet around the blade circumference. Reverse the rotation and it still does that, only less effectively because the blades and outlet housing are shaped to work best in the intended direction.

CentrifugalFan.png

I learned that after working on the heater blower once in my sweetie's '65 Galaxie 500. I had the end caps off the motor to clean and relube the bearings and clean up the commutator and brushes. It was held together by two through-bolts, which meant the end caps would fit two different ways. I didn't think about it at the time, but if the end cap that carries the brushes gets reinstalled 180° turned, that reverses the motor rotation.

We tested it and it blew air and we thought "great!" and put it all back together, but on the first chilly day we noticed the defog performance sucked. Even on high, it just wasn't moving enough air. Put the end cap back on the other way and it blew like a hurricane.

I think that one was a forward-curve design, too. Such blowers can be designed with forward, backward, or straight blades and they all work, and they all blow the same way, in along axis, out to the side. But whichever way it was designed, it won't blow as effectively, spinning the other way.

CentrifugalFanBlades.png

To me, the backward curve always looks more convincing than forward curve, so when that Galaxie blower was spinning the wrong way, it didn't really look wrong to me. But it sure did blow better, once it was spinning they way they intended.

#2 ChapmanF, Aug 12, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  3. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    For future readers: for right-hand drive, second-generation Prius cars, the blower with fan motor sub-assembly has Toyota part number 87103-47010. Since this part is also used on cars built for sale in Japan, I’d imagine it would be available from sellers, such as IMPEX JAPAN, JP-CARPARTS.COM, or Amayama Trading, that specialize in exported parts.

(The equivalent part for left-hand drive cars is 87103-47020.)

PriusPaddler and SFO like this.
  4. Fragger

Fragger New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh yes! I should have posted this as well, as I discovered this too when investigating stealership fan motors - but i couldn't remember it for the life of me. Multiple ones in Brisbane wanted $700 for the 47010 part number.

(i had to edit my quote as i can't post links)

PriusPaddler likes this.