1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing an engine?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ct0304, Oct 6, 2016.

1. ct0304

ct0304 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ive done engine swaps before on cars and truck, but i cant find a step by step anywhere on how to do it. Anyone have any direction they can point me?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! you can buy the service manual on line for $15./day.

3. Texas Hybrid Batteries

Texas Hybrid Batteries Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ct, I just finished a motor swap on an 05. First one I've done.

These are the basic steps:

Drain everything, remove inverter, drop the crossmember with steering assembly and tie rods attached.

Remove the exhaust system, bumper cover, head lights, windshield cowling, washer fluid reservoir, air box, basically everything under the hood has to come out.

Trace out the wire harness and unplug everything and then lay that out of the way.

You have to get the car up pretty high, doors should be 2ft off the ground I think.

Pull the axles out of the transmission and swing them out of the way. I just left the attached to wheel hub.

Attach a lift to the engin/transmission and lower the whole assembly out of the car.

Unbolt the engine and transaxle and then reverse the whole thing with your new engine.

And definetly get the service manual for all of the torque specs and little details. It's not a terrible job and it's easier with a lift. Plan on a full day or maybe a few.

Good luck, Matt

#3 Texas Hybrid Batteries, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    m.wynn and b100 like this.
  4. ct0304

ct0304 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Where do i find the manual online. Ive been looking for something of the sorts buy

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    techinfo.toyota.com.

The shortest subscription is two days for $15 (bisco keeps calling that $15 a day, but it comes out more like $7.50 using my math), but if you play a weekend right you can get more than two days out of it. The month for $75 is a better deal if you'll be using it enough.

Once you're signed in, there is a ton of information: all the repair manuals and wiring diagrams for your car (and every other car they make), service bulletins, recall campaigns, technical tips, "Quick Technical Guides" (any particular subject you want to know a little more about than you could find in the repair manual, there's probably a QTG), and also, under another tab if you really want to go deep, the full set of course books used in their technician training courses.

The biggest danger is you spend your $15 and spend the whole time going "wow! I never guessed I could find all this here!" and never working on your project.

-Chap

6. blaisep

blaisep Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How did it work out?
    Is there anything you would do differently the second time.