1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing battery modules in place

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by jyoost, Feb 12, 2017.

1. jyoost

jyoost Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are there any how to on replacing battery modules with pack in car?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You would need to take it out to be able to remove the bolts from under the pack

3. jyoost

jyoost Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What about taking the cover off the pack? I looked everywhere for a picture of how the pack is disassembled and found nothing.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You need to remove the pack from the car to properly service it. Remember this battery is high voltage, with the questions you're asking and for your safety, I would suggest you call a professional.

strawbrad likes this.
  5. jyoost

jyoost Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I want to clean the air space inside. I have a degree in electrical engineering and computer science

6. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The folks below were smart, MIT, Harvard, PhD's, professors, Nobel prizesl . . . even a few successful politicians. They were all accomplished,winners, and much smarter than most.

Service the HV battery the safe way . . . just my opinion.

"Twenty years ago, one bond-trading hedge fund grew from launch to over $100 billion in assets in less than three years. It saw yearly returns of over 40 percent. It was run by finance veterans, PhDs, professors, and two Nobel Prize winners. Everyone on Wall Street wanted a piece of their profits.

But by 1998, that firm was primed to expose America's largest banks to more than $1 trillion in default risks. The demise of the firm, Long-Term Capital Management (LTCM), was swift and sudden. . . ."

Demise is the key word.

bisco likes this.
  7. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can topically vacuum out the pack without removing the modules, but it may not provide the deep cleaning you are intending? The space between modules is very tight. And it would extra challenging to try to clean the passageway underneath the modules without removing the modules.

You can remove the modules while the pack is in the car, but it would be especially awkward because of limited space and the fact that you have to access the underside of the pack. an additional challenge is that you are would be working on the battery in an environment with conductive metal all around. Not ideal!

When you open the cover to access the modules you will already have the case fully unbolted from the car. If it were me, I'd rather take the 60 seconds worth of time to lift the case out of the car and take it to a non-conductive environment, as opposed to leaving it in the car.

Where are you located? (You may want to add it to your profile.)
    If you are local, I could talk in person, else feel free to call and discuss.
    There are quite a few videos online that show disassembly of the pack.

8. jyoost

jyoost Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Understand your concern.

9. jyoost

jyoost Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can you post a link to the disassemble? I promise I will take the pack out when I do it. Cleaned blower and intake ducts. Blew air in pack air intake. Blower totally plugged duct from blower to pack not bad. Will see what develops. People at hybrid automotive very helpful. hybridautomotive.com/URL] Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat, stay safe!(y) yes, jeff and co. are great. pay attention to all good advice.

11. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry. Don't have time to google that for you right now.
    If you've seen the hybridautomotive instructions you are halfway there.
    Also search for the Gen1 Insight battery repair campaign. That will help provide you with correct torque specs for nuts and bolts for inside the battery pack.

Buy yourself the appropriate safety gear like Class 0 gloves

No reason to be lazy and sacrifice safety. The gloves and protective leathers should cost you less than $90