1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing brakes - do I need to machine the rotors?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Davidude, Mar 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have 200k on my 04 Prius, I think the brakes were replaced either once at 100k or I'm still running the oem brakes. They're starting to screech so I figure I should replace them by now. I've heard from multiple people that I need to get the rotors "machined" or something, and they say I should bring it in to get it done by a shop. I have a place I can go and I can get a fair price/work done, but I enjoy doing my own simple maintenance.

My question is - when you replace your brakes, do you just change the pads and go on with your life? I've heard not machining the rotors can lead to them being warped over time.
    I was quoted about $200 total for the rotors being done and brakes replaced. I can buy the brake pads for $80 myself. Is it worth the $100 for them to machine the rotors?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If the rotors look fine, front and back, and you're not feeling any pulsing, I would leave them be.

If you really want to get in gear: get a micrometer and a dial gauge with magnetic base, and you can check rotor thickness and "runout". The latter is checked with the dial gauge, determines how much wobble the rotor has. You'd need to look up min rotor thickness and max runout for second gen, I don't have those. Maybe a service department could share that info.

Do lube the caliper pins when you're in there, with Sil-Glyde or the Toyota spec'd lube.

Also, to play it safe: disconnect negative battery terminal before taking off the caliper, and after reinstall, pump the brake pedal multiple times before reconnecting the battery.

Davidude likes this.
  3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Your 2004 has disc front and drum rear brakes. Is the price to replace brakes at all 4 wheels and machine the discs and drums? If so, that price is good. If it is just the front disc brakes it is an average price, but ask about getting the rears done at the same time; you probably need the rears done as well.

4. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Last time I needed rotors (different car), I found some new on eBay or Amazon for about the same price as bringing them to the machine shop with less hassle. Mine were warped, probably ready for scrap anyway.