1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replacing CFLs with LEDs

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by dhanson865, Jul 24, 2013.

1. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I am at about 95% LED in our house now, having replaced all of our CFL's for the reasons went over earlier in this thread - instant on, consistent colors, good dimming, etc. I don't care if there is additional cost over CFL, the house is lit much better now than it ever was on CFL. Home Depot has long had the best prices anywhere on these and a super easy return policy, and so I've tried almost every bulb available. After buying and returning many bulbs, we are almost entirely Philips. I grabbed a bunch of the L-Prize winner bulbs (93 lumens per watt, CRI of 93) for $15 at one point. I would have grabbed a bunch more if I'd known they were going to discontinue it!!

I've tried higher color temp bulbs in many places and the only place I've found a place for anything above 2700k is in some bedroom closets painted bright white, and those are only 3000k. Otherwise I agree that they look too institutional for home use.

The Philips bulbs dim fantastically, with fancy or regular dimmers. The L-Prize bulb even color-shifts towards red as you dim it. Dimmed even 20% I find that the heat sinks go from 'too hot to touch' to 'not even warm', meaning they should last significantly longer even than advertised.

2. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Amazon combined all the watts and color temperatures into a single listing and now has the wrong lumens on 2/3 of them again.

Torchstar came out with an interesting lower watt bulb (3W 3200K 120 Degree Beam Angle)

you'd be wasting a lot of money up front on the torchstar if you used multiples of those bulbs but if you are trying to avoid glare on a TV or Monitor or just need a smaller amount of light for some other reason it might fit a niche use.

I still haven't pulled the trigger, waiting for another price drop but for now the pricing looks like

(3000K/3200K)
    ~$7 a piece for the 3w torchstar (amazon) at 68 lm/watt (3200K)
    ~$8 a piece for the 6.5w sunsun (amazon) at 73 lm/watt (3000K)
    ~$10 a piece for the 10.5w phillips (local home depot) at 76 lm/watt (3000K)

Cree doesn't offer a mid K option (I won't buy their 2700K bulbs)

If color isn't a concern and you just want more lumens you can get

(5000K)
    ~$8 a piece for the 6.5w sunsun (amazon) at 89 lm/watt (5000K)
    ~$14 a piece for the 9w cree (local home depot) at 88 lm/watt (5000K)

SunSun is temporarily too expensive at the 9.5w level.

I'm also avoiding the above 11w LED bulbs (SunSun has a 12W and Cree has a 13.5 watt) due to heat/power/reliability concerns. Cree's looks the best of the super high wattage bulbs but they are overdriving the same LEDs that are in the 9W version (with increased cooling designed in to offset the power increase) so reliability isn't proven yet.

SageBrush likes this.
  3. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Costco has a great deal on LEDs. ~$7 for three 60 watt Eq, nice color, dimable. I have replaced nearly every CFL, and now have virtually no conventional bulbs in our house.

Icarus

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is that in B'ham or in Ontario? Is it after a local utility incentive?

I checked this evening and didn't find it. The closest were several 3-packs of Feit lamps and one other brand, 40 watt equivalent, for $14 thanks to the local utility. Without the utility support the price would have been about $20.

My house is still mostly CFL (by lamp count), but I ceased buying them two years ago and gave away the uninstalled surplus to a friend in need. While LEDs are still a minority of the lamps, they now cover a majority of the 'on' time.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    2010 is when my house converted over to LED. Since then, they've dropped way down in price and have improved cosmetically along the way. $7 for the 60-watt equiv. (specifically the Philips brand) are really nice. Those are what I've been encouraging others to buy, since they've proven themselves well here. Of course, having LED on the Prius drives the message home too, quite literally.

6. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That have been at the Bellingham Costco for a couple of months. I beleive they come at that price with a Puget Rebate, but I really can't say, as I don't set foot in Costco, (or anywhere else save Hardware Sales!) and leave that to my wife!

Icarus

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    IIRC Feit bulbs are stocked by Lowes. I was disappointed to find lumen ratings in the ~40-50/watt range.

9. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here in Tennessee the costco doesn't have LED bulbs anywhere near that cheap. They are $40 for 4 of the feit 8w.

You can go to myrebates.net aka
    Home

to put in your zip code and see what the utility rebates are for your area. Mine has none.

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Something is missing from the website. The zipcode of my nearest Costco also returns nothing, even though the program is quite obvious in the store. Two of the three local utilities, for which I posted links earlier, are absent from this partner list.

And put in zip code 98225 to get the deals Icarus mentions, the website brings up deals different then he mentioned. The LED prices look stale.

11. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It has been at least a month since I got the last ones at Costco. The deal with Costco is you never know What they are going to have, that's why I stocked up and bought a dozen when I could.

Icarus

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll have to do a Costco visit next time I'm up there. Or even check out one of the stores on the east side of the lake, in PSE territory.

13. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep, I also been buying Costcos' LEDs, especially outdoor floor lights. Been running these for 4- 5 years now. Do not miss climbing the 2 story ladder for replacement!. As the CFL expire indoors, LED replacement is ongoing.

DBCassidy

14. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i moved into my house about 4 years ago and I repalced the inc's with CFL's.

late last year the CFL's began to go out. so I started looking for LEDs. I went online and found a great deal at HD on the CREE LED'S
    Cree 60W Equivalent Soft White (2700K) A19 Dimmable LED Light Bulb-BA19-08027OMF-12DE26-2U100 at The Home Depot

I searched several stores in my area and found that I was able to pick up the led's for a bit over 4 bucks, per bulb.

I had to buy them on line and do an in store pickup. The in store price was different. It could have been a price fubar...but who knows... I bought 20 of them...

So I replaced all the CFL's in my recessed lights on the main floor with the LED and I am using the old CFL's to replace the current CFL's elsewhere in the house as they fail.

I've been real happy with the leds. in fact put a few of them outside and so far so good...

15. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Differing prices in store vs online is becoming intentional. I've already run into store employees who will match a competitor's brick-and-mortar price, but not their own on-line price.

16. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Fuzzy,

I have found that too, in fact the brick and mortar HD was not willing to honor the HDonline price... so I went on the HD computer at the contractor desk bought them online for the discounted price, and then watched them go to the display pick them up and bring them over to me while i waited...

I wa sin the market for a fridge a few years ago. I was at HHgregg and they have a policy about not honoring online prices. so I brought in an online printout from another store....the guy kept saying they can't honor the price off the internet.

He needed to come down 200 bucks. It was a sunday, late afternoon. It was a $1200 fridge... How bad do they want to make the sale... I wasn't desperate my existing fridge was still working so I was willing to walk. He hemmed and hawed so I started walking. He followed me out the door finally willing to meet the price. I swear sales guys can smell when you are in a pinch...

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We got our water softener from Sears online. I saw that it was on sale there, so went into the store. It wasn't on sale there, but they would match it. Plus the shipping charges. I went home and ordered it online with free in store pick up. I think I also avoided the sales tax.

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    I think what's happening with the lumen verses color rendition is that the cooler colors are more difficult for the human eye to detect. That's why the cooler colors with higher lumen ratings may actually appear less bright than the warmer colors. One of the other thing I note with Feit LED's is that many of them rated as dimmable do poorly upon startup. I note the same type of feedback comments on Amazon.

19. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That would have been an error on their part. The store still owes the tax to the state, even if it forgot to charge you.

20. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The store has the option to pay the sales tax and roll it into an advertised price. There is no difference legally betwen selling something for $0.90 + $0.09 tax or selling it for $0.99. Doesn't matter if the item was $25 shelf price if they want to sell it to you for 99 cents and send 9 cents to the tax man they can.