1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replacing CFLs with LEDs

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by dhanson865, Jul 24, 2013.

1. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well the good news is one of my old 17W CFLs died today, it was on one of the garage door openers. I rotated a 13W cfl into that position.

The bad news is I tried taking a sunsun 5000K down to try it in the garage and it wouldn't work on the motion detector socket. I took the Simple Energy Works 4000K down and it didn't work in that socket either. It's not a dimmer but the behavior I saw matches descriptions of LEDs on a dimmer that I've seen in reviews.

So I guess I have to get a truly dimmer friendly LED bulb for use in the motion detector sockets even though I don't want to dim the bulbs, I only want full brightness.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Same here - we often use amazon over ebay ... but we use the amazon prime account, & that way we get free shipping (plus many free movie streams ;) )

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  3. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One instance where LEDs *really* make a lot of sense over CFLs is in recessed can lights. These are usually horrible air leaks, they can't in many instances by insulated against. Pull them out, seal the hole, and replace them with a thin LED fixture, and you will save vast amounts (I estimate about $25/year per can light) on heating (and some cooling).

Otherwise, my recommendation is to replace CFLs slowly starting with those in 'rugged service' and high use fixtures. And dispose of those CFLs properly! I hope I don't even need to mention incandescents.

4. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I was worried about sealing the can because the LED bulbs still put out a fair amount of heat and say not to place them in fully enclosed fixtures. I was assuming the power circuitry would age/die quicker if there isn't that airflow up out of the canister.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    He isn't talking about using the screw in replacement LED bulbs, but LED specific fixtures. There are airtight cans for specific LED lights, and some can mount to a basic junction box. They can be more costly than the bulbs.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    yes this is a great dichotomy with both CFL and LED lighting. They can be severely shortened in life expectancy when subjected to too much heat. I too, discovered what Corwyn was talking about . . . . with heat/coolness being sucked in through the attic via uninsulated can light fixtures whenever the central heating/AC would run. We threw the uninsulated can fixtures out - and installed properly insulated can fixtures. The only trick now is to make sure we use led's that are rated to withstand being installed in insulated fixtures.

7. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I wonder if you couldn't put some sort of clear cover at the ceiling level (below the bulb) to block airflow into the living space but still allow heat from the bulb to vent upwards and still allow light to pass downwards. It'd have to be perfectly clear though, I wouldn't want to reduce the transmitted light much if any.

I suppose I'll end up having to have someone seal my fixtures and I'll end up using LEDs that are only putting out about 2 or 3 watts of heat per canister so maybe they wont get too hot.

I'm not a big fan of putting in a fixed LED fixture. I want to be able to unscrew and replace bulbs as new bulbs become available with better light characteristics and efficiency.

8. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I installed a recessed LED assy in the bayh shower ceiling. It's been 2 years and no problem with heat build up. IIRC, I bought this at a local Home Depot.

DBCassidy

9. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Right. I was talking about removing the cans altogether. The LED fixtures I was talking about, mount directly to the ceiling and are only about 1" thick, giving close to the appearance of a can light. They are designed to cool to the sides.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Unfortunately, the one I saw in my quick search was a little over $100 at Lowes.
    New construction has options for airtight boxes. There are some airtight cans for remodeling but you need to be more careful with bulb selection.

11. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My house has no recessed can lights. I've eyeballed some flat panel surface mount types, but haven't yet sprung for one.

But last fall I did replace several non-recessed ceiling fixtures with the recessed-can-like LEDs that fit into most standard 4" junction boxes, and have grills that stick out less than a half inch from the ceiling. So far we are happy with them, despite their trailing edge lumens/watt rating (650 lumens, 12.5 watts). Unfortunately we also had the lower volume phenolic junctions boxes that these fixtures didn't fit, so I had to perform laparoscopic surgery on the ceiling to retrofit new boxes.

These lights didn't appear to have a true air seal, instead I did my best to seal the j-boxes. (Most of the original boxes had been sealed eight years ago, putting a noticeable dent in our energy bill.) Now I see another product that does have a true air seal, though with the same trailing edge efficiency. And yet another, 900 lumens for 13 watts, that sticks out closer to a full inch and shouldn't require me to change the small j-boxes.

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    One other thing about LED's - in reference to garage door openers . . . . if/when the door is blocked & you attempt to cycle the door down - it'll automatically go back up ... and many models will flash the opener lights. They flashing cycle is too quick to permit the diodes to turn on - untill the flashing cycle stops. I hope that doesn't have a life shortening effect on the LED's ... because they're not cheep.

13. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Good point, I have CFLs in that position now but the flashing is slow compared to CFL warmup times (at least slow enough that you see the CFL off and on). I'm not sure how a LED bulb would behave in my particular garage door openers.

14. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    THey do make, air tight, insulation coverable recessed can lights. They are required by code in some jurisdictions if installed in ceilings that normally require insualtion. Consider the wattage rating of the cans. A typical can might be rated for say 150 watts. That is roughly 150 BTUs. A 15 watt cfl or led would be about 15 BTUs. The poer supply may have trouble in an enclosed can light, but my guess is that the can is big enough to dissipate the heat just fine. At best you are not going to burn the house down, but merely shorten the life of the led or cfl.

Icarus

15. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am confused by what you appear to be saying. Diodes are *extremely* fast in responding to changes in voltage (hence their use in computers). Far faster than incandescents (which you can't even notice 60 hertz with). Is there perhaps something going on in the lamp?

16. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    150 watts = 0.150 kWh / hr (*3412 BTUs/kWh) = 511.8 BTUs/hour [not BTUs].

17. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    True dat! BTUs/hour. (not to mention my late night math (as ususal) was error riddled!)

Thanks for the correction(s)

Icarus

Corwyn likes this.
  18. 70AARCUDA

70AARCUDA Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    FWIW, the "new" plastic 'spoon' LED lamps from Phillips are LIGHT in weight, BRIGHT in lumens, and very LOW in heat!

19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Here's a nice little jewel we've been using for about 1/2 year now - From your local Lowes:

[​IMG]

Advertising they emanate light equivalent to a 40watt/300 lumen bulb - I find them WAY brighter than that. My 1st thought was to use 'em in a half dozen mini cans we have under our kitchen cabinets, and under our bar counter. I needed medium screw base adapters, which were pretty cheep on line. Anyway, At a paltry 4.5 watts - we save a boat load. After buying the 1st batch, we've also installed 'em in our garage door opener - as well as our fridge we have in the garage. Woo hoo !!!

20. dhanson865

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Unfortunately those are $15 a piece at my Lowes and they are 2700K color.

I definitely like that they are lower wattage but my short list is currently

$8 SunSun Lighting A19 LED Light Bulb, 6.5W 450lm (3000K) Dimmable (for some value of dimmers)

$6.50 G7 Power Carson G16 LED Globe Light Bulb 250 Lumen 3000K E26 Base 3-Watt (haven't tried this yet but I'm considering it for some uses)​
    $10 7w LED Bulb A19 Neutral White (4000K) 615 Lumen, UL listed, Non-dimmable (extremely small for an A19 bulb, dense/heavy feels durable)​