1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Coolant Control Valve midway crisis

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Terrapin90, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Terrapin90

Terrapin90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Check engine light came on a month ago giving the p1121 code.
    I'm currently replacing it. I had all 3 hoses clamped and i removed the first one on top, some coolant came out of the hose but then it started coming out of the valve, not gushing out just a slow drip/stream. it was maybe a total of 8 ounces or so, it wasn't really showing signs of letting up so i ended up putting the top hose back and the hose clamp back in place.

My question is would it be ok if i replaced what coolant i lost? Or do you think i need to try to bleed air out of the system and burp it. Im driving it to NC tomorrow and don't want to run into any problems with it, which is why i was replacing the control valve in the first place, but i've also been reading its ok to drive on for a while. Thinking of taking it to my shop tomorrow morning thats reputable with working on Prius's and maybe just have them change the coolant and all that properly? I'd have them replace the valve but they wont use parts that you already bought.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just top off the missing fluid in the radiator and drive to your destination. Do NOT change the coolant before you leave.

The coolant valve won't affect the cooling system in your car. However if you change the coolant and get air in there, you'll open up a can of worms right before your trip

3. Terrapin90

Terrapin90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So you don't think what I just did to it probably affected anything or got air in there? I only removed the top hose for about ten minutes before i got it back on there. And most of the coolant that came out was from the valve.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you'll be fine, just top off the radiator (if you need to, it MIGHT still be full)

While you're at it, check the oil level too

5. Terrapin90

Terrapin90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Alright gonna go put the bottom bolt back on the valve, top off the radiator and drive it around a bit and make sure nothings wrong and no more warning lights pop up. Just changed the oil last week and it hasn't budged! This is my first Prius and i only got it 6 months ago so I'm still learning ha. Only had 60,000 miles on it when i picked it up though, its in excellent shape.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

If concerned you could jump the leads for the pump and ensure it is bled well with no air in the system.

What shop are you using in Wichita? I used to live there for 3 years and avoided Eddys like the plague.

Good luck on your trip(y).

7. Terrapin90

Terrapin90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What's the process for jumping the leads? Is there a chance that could cause something to go wrong if i attempt that? I'm just worried now and hoping for a smooth trip with no kinks ha. I thought the valve not functioning right might cause a problem on 2,000+ mile round trip but now im thinking i should've just left it alone til i got back.
    I was gonna take it to After Hours Auto over by Pawnee and Meridian. I took my Volvo there a few times cause they specialized in them and they're educated on Prius's. Yeah man I'll never go to Eddy's.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Terrapin90

Terrapin90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well I put some coolant in and got it reading between full and low, didn't take that much at all. Drove it around and the Red triangle popped up after 3 miles around 45mph. took it on the highway and it came back on at 50mph, slowed down and it went away then came back when i got off the highway doing 40, then again at 30. Coolant is still reading what it was before I drove it. Not sure what to do at this point except drop it off at the shop tonight and see what they can do in the morning.

9. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Do you have Techstream to read the codes? We're there any other issues prior to the pump replacement?

Might be worth a trip to After Hours before you head out.

10. Terrapin90

Terrapin90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No no techstream. and no other problems prior to this. I didn't even get to change the control valve so its still the old one, i had it unplugged and took the first top hose off but then ended up abandoning that after ten minutes and pieced it back together. The red triangle came up and was showing that little coolant symbol on my screen.

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You have to fill the radiator, not the reservoir. Take off the black plastic cover in the front of the engine compartment. Then you'll see the radiator cap. Remove the cap and fill when the car is Cool

Bleed the air by turning on your heater and fan at full blast for 10 minutes. Keep filling the radiator when you see the level drop

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  12. Terrapin90

Terrapin90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You know what you're right i filled the reservoir not the radiator. I still have the plastic cover off so i'll go do that after i let it cool down for a minute.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  13. Terrapin90

Terrapin90 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Alright I filled the radiator, ran the heat at full blast and kept refilling the radiator as needed. Took it for a 10 mile drive, bout 5 miles of that on the highway doing 75mph, no red triangle of death during the test drive! Thanks a lot you guys. I'll be checking the levels tomorrow morning before work and hope for the best.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check every morning for 3 days and fill as needed. Good luck