1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Driver's Side Mirror w/o buying new heating plate

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Joey L, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Joey L

Joey L New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hi all,

My car was parked when it was clipped by a car one night, and I was standing a mere 20 feet away with a bin of laundry and couldn't get the license plate. Fortunately, the only thing damaged was the mirror which is cracked (and not shattered). I've been looking online and see that I can order the mirror glass, but it doesn't include the heating coil behind it.

My question is: Can I take the broken mirror off the working coil, and put a new mirror on it? If so, how?

2. jm98

jm98 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    There are three screws under the side mirror assembly. Have you tried removing them first? I think you better off replacing complete assembly due to space to work with and plastic components.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm pretty sure this is the part you're looking for (assuming you meant the left side, you didn't exactly say but I guessed you parked with the left side out).

As you can see by blowing up the pictures, it's a sandwich of the mirror glass and the heat element, mounted (with really good soft adhesive) into a plastic frame. The whole thing just snaps in and out of the mirror assembly; you can change it in seconds once you know how to pop it out and in. (A saving grace for that is the old one's already cracked, so you won't feel as shy while you figure out the trick.)

I wouldn't recommend trying to separate the goop sandwich and glue in separate heat layers and bare glass. Life's too short. (I did separate one years ago just to see if I could, and I still have tools from that experiment that I have never fully removed that really good soft adhesive from.)

-Chap

Edit: I found the old post where I described how they unsnap and hinge out. That was a Gen 1, but you can see from the parts link photos above that the construction hasn't changed. The two clips that unsnap are at the bottom, and a little round divot in the plastic edge lets you locate where one of them is. The tabs at the top act more like hinges, and will slide out after you unsnap the bottom and tilt.

#3 ChapmanF, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    SFO likes this.