1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing engine after I blew it up

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Falken, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Falken

Falken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here's my story, I'd love any opinions on where I should go next.

My family was on a trip in our 2006 Prius (130k miles) and we were getting intermittent warning lights while on the highway (the yellow engine block light and the triangle exclamation point light). I checked the oil and it was very low so the next morning I put more in and thought we'd be ok. The lights were still on/off intermittently as we drove home through hilly terrain but I figured I'd just get us home and then take it to the dealer to have the codes read the next morning.

Well...the battery wasn't charging and the gas engine was really struggling to get up the hills so I pulled off the next exit and almost immediately the car start drastically losing power and "knocking". I pulled over and popped the hood and 10 seconds later a bunch of white smoke came out of the rear of the car. There was very little smoke under the hood, it was all in the back.

A couple of friendly people walking by took a look and immediately noticed that the serpentine belt was missing and the water pump was leaking coolant. I had it towed to a local repair shop and they replaced both of those items but when they refilled it with coolant and turned the car on the guy said that all of it just drained out of various places in the engine. He said I'll need to replace the engine (he's not comfortable doing it but I could have it towed elsewhere).

So I'm trying to weigh all my options and I'm not sure which way to go. Do I try to replace the engine with a salvaged one to get a few more years out of this car? It has had no problems until this point but because of that still has all the original parts as well. Blue book on a 2006 with 130k miles is around $7000 and I'm thinking I'm probably looking at more than half of that to replace the engine. I've looked at used prices for a similar car around here in Pittsburgh to replace it and I'm probably looking at 10-11k for a car with less mileage than mine. And then of course 25k+ if I decide to get a new one but I'd bummed not to get one of the new gen ones coming out in a few months.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! that's low mileage for a prius, but then again, after you replace the engine, who knows what's next?

3. Falken

Falken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks bisco! That's the scary dilemma of something like this, I'm worried that I'll dump $5000 into it just to find out that I melted a lot more than the engine. Are there other things that an overheating engine might have damaged? One other footnote is that we smelled a strong sulfur smell as we were getting off the highway, which I assume was coming from the batteries?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    unfortunately, you're way beyond my limited capabilities. and diagnosing a car on the internet is difficult at best. you probably ned to spend a few hundred to have a dealer hook up their computer and see what trouble codes are logged.

maybe find a cheap rental for a few months, or an old beater until the gen IV arrives?

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Steve at http://www.autobeyours.co sells low mileage "long block" engines for about $500. He can install one in your Prius for about $2k (including the parts) as well. You would have to ship your Prius to him (southern Indiana - about $600), but when you get it back it would be a reliable vehicle. I would give him a call.

JeffD

bisco likes this.
  6. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Gonna' need the codes to see what all else might be wrong. It sounds like you blew the headgasket too when it overheated. White smoke out the exhaust means water in the combustion cylinder(s).

GOOD LUCK!

7. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    stop with the blue book B.S, its a guide at best.
    you don't get anywhere close to "blue book"
    dealers pay black book auction wholesale less repairs
    private buyers shop for the cheapest one they can get.
    its 10 years old and might be worth 5 grand in near perfect condition the real world
    check e bay and see what real people are willing to pay for a similar car.
    ask yourself do you want to invest $2000 to get it running and hope the battery pack isn't damaged.
    as the price of gas drops these cars are losing their value.

8. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You're in a tough situation because as you know everything is un-guaranteed.

No guarantee a salvaged engine is going to solve your problems.
    No guarantee a used vehicle is going to be perfect.

So given that baseline, I'd make my decision based primarily on two things, what I was capable of doing financially and what I personally wanted to do the most. None of the answers are particularly wrong or particularly right.

So then if it was me? I think with a vehicle nearing 10 model years old, I'd really take it as an opportunity for change. You hinted that "new" isn't out of the question. With regrets that this timing didn't happen after the next Gen get's released. The converse to that is people have been getting good deals on the exiting Gen 3.

But salvaged engine, used, or new vehicle- the choice is yours. They all come with various cost and risk. The best answer is the one you feel you most want to make.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I found a 2007 with 126990 miles in Doylestown for $7990. How much do you want to sink into a car that is selling for $7990? What is it worth as a lawn ornament?

I would cut my losses because I don't want to deal with restoring a car, because I can, and I believe I would have an outlet for the lawn ornament.

If you are going to rebuild the car, based on my experience I would replace the entire engine. The rebuilt short block I put in the Olds didn't last as long as I thought it should. Keep it long enough to buy a 2016.

If something catastrophic happened to my Prius today I would start shopping for a new one tomorrow. I believe the discounts on the 2015 MY will more than offset whatever improvements are in the 2016 MY.

As The Electric Me said, there is no right or wrong answer. You have to decide what is going to make you the happiest.

Best wishes for whichever way you go.

10. dat2109

dat2109 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The waterpump failing (from the broken belt) and leaking out water likely is what killed the engine, however it also sounds like you were having other problems before that happened with the random lights and oil consumption.

When a water pump belt breaks, you wont get to go much farther before you need to stop, and just a little more before you have a blown head gasket or more. This isn't something that would have been going on for more than just a few miles.

Dino33ca likes this.
  11. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The rule of thumb here is usually to repair up to a fairly high percentage of the real world value of your car.....but the rule of thumb for rules of thumb is that they're only a rule of thumb.
    Opinions vary wildly about what percentage of the RWV of the car to kick over but usually smart people with money will put somewhere between 50 and 100 percent of the value of your car into a repair like this....with the alternative being spending 100 percent of the value of your car on another car to get you back to more or less where you were before you smoked your engine.
    I always compare the value of the car running and not running.
    A G2 with 130K in pristine condition is probably worth about 5000-6000 in a quick sale.
    One without a motor is worth....what? $1,500????
    This tells me that If I can shove a motor into this car for 3k then I'd be money ahead even if I got it running code-free and dumped it in a quick sale.

I think that if you're smart, you can put a long block in your car for less than $5K.
    Say.....900-1200 for the motor and somewhere around 1500 for the labor would be my swag.
    If I woke up in a situation like yours that what I would be tempted to do, since car payments for a "new" G3 are going to be around $5-6K a year....every year.

Yes.
    You can also suffer another casualty on this car and be forced to cut bait, but there's at least a good chance that you'll wind up money ahead trying to leg this car out to 200-250K.

If you continue to pay for new cars every 4-5 years then there's a 100-percent chance that you will lose more money than establishing a repair fund and buying cars every 10-12 years....and shocking though this may sound......actually saving the payments that you don't make for something outlandish like retirement.....kid's education....etc.

Your call.

Good Luck!!!

#11 ETC(SS), Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  12. Falken

Falken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you everyone, these are all great responses. I don't think there's an obvious choice, as several of you mentioned, so I need to do some pondering tonight.

Right now I'm thinking:

- Call Steve's place in Ohio tomorrow to see what he has to say. If he can do it for roughly that price I may take him up on it.
    - Check out local dealerships to see how good the deals are on 2015s given the upcoming switch to Gen 4. If they're significant it may sway me to just get a new 2015.
    - If both of the above end up as a bust I may go the cheap short-term beater route until I can get a 2016. It has been long enough since the Gen 3's came out that I would expect the Gen 4's to have some nice technological bumps.

13. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    sounds like your belt came off because you didn't check it for cracks every month, which caused it to overheat. the lesson here is that you need to check your oil every fill up, and look at your belt, brakes, fluids, etc every other fill up. visual inspection is a very important part of regular maintenance. if you had checked your belt (and oil) like your supposed to, this probably would not have happened.

I doubt anything other than the engine was damaged when this happened, but I could be wrong. if it was me, I'd get a used low mileage engine and drop it in, but then I really prefer the gen 2 over the gen 3.

14. Falken

Falken Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're absolutely right and hopefully my very painful lesson will be found by someone else searching these threads and not properly caring for their Prius. If I had done basic maintenance and monitoring I would not have lost a car that should still have a lot of life left in it. I made many mistakes here and paid for it dearly.

I'm still weighing my options but it's looking more and more like this car has reached its end. Why do you prefer the Gen 2 over the Gen 3?

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's a personal issue, you really need to drive a gen III for yourself.

16. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I don't like the gen 3 interior, but it is probably a better car in many ways. and I'm one of those idiots that gets attached to their car even though I know its an inanimate object. I still have my chevelle which I got when I was 19.

17. YYR123

YYR123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So here is the rub, I use 5W-30 engine oil...am I in danger ???

18. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on where you rub it.

In your 8-year-old motor?
    It won't matter much.....as long as you're not running it low.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. YYR123

YYR123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ha ha very funny

No I got a new 2014 Toyota Prius C

20. YYR123

YYR123 Junior Member

Vehicle: