1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Factory System with Aftermarket?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Captain Caseous, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Captain Caseous

Captain Caseous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hi everyone. I've been debating replacing the factory head unit on my 2012 Prius IV. I think I'd get more use out of something with Android auto and some of the newer features available out there on Pioneers, Kenwoods, etc. Something like this. Are there any issues that I should be aware of if I have this done professionally rather than try to do it myself? Has anyone made such a switch and been happy with it?

Thanks for any thoughts.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Usually the biggest problem is that you will lose access to some of the displays that show you hybrid system energy status. Also a couple of interactive menus that you might be using to change feature behavior in the car. This may not be a big deal to you- some of the energy info is duplicated on the upper display, and all of the settings can still be changed by hooking up a laptop with Techstream, either by the dealer or by you at home.

We did this with our Prius c when it was four days old- gutted the factory system & installed an aftermarket with Android Auto & Carplay. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Admittedly the c has a more standardized dashboard, very friendly to aftermarket decks. It's somewhat less so with the classic Prius, but there are trim kits available to make it easier.

Captain Caseous likes this.
  3. tony schuite

tony schuite New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been wondering about this as well. I currently have a 2010 Prius with the TNS510 nav unit.
    my upgrade to the system is a Pioneer SPH-DA120 (pretty basic) headunit. I have bought an SWI-CP5 interface for the steeringwheel controls and will tap the dimmer and speed pulse wires. I do not have a backup camera.

PAC is telling me I need the Radio Harness, but that seems overkill to me.
    Do you know what features I would be missing?