1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing front disk caliper on 2002 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by azw, Jan 19, 2007.

1. azw

azw New Member

Hello,

I've got a sticking caliper on the front passenger side of a 2002 Prius, so I need to rebuild it.

I've heard that you need a special Toyota Scantool to bleed the brakes. Is that true? Is there any way that I can do this at home? (I'm a decent home mechanic and have done a number of brake jobs.)

The dealer wants $600 for the job. The parts, are less than $100 if I buy them myself.

2. azw

azw New Member

What if I used a couple of those self-bleeding bleeder screws? Would that work?

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    you really don't wanna bleed those brakes without the scantool. seriously.

"failure to use the intelligent tester could result in serious injury or an accident." (says the repair manual)

you just can't do the job without it.

4. Ghostrider

Ghostrider New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Jan 20 2007, 07:52 PM) [snapback]378450[/snapback]</div>
    What does a scantool measure in bleeding the brakes? For some reason I thought it was used for
    setting and testing electrical items? Does this mean I have to pay 600 bucks to get adealer to bleed my brakes?

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it basically operates the brake actuator to get a complete air bleed rather than leaving pockets of air throughout the brake system.

doing it without the scantool, you run the risk of sucking air back into the system. it's very complex.

shouldn't be more than a couple hour charge. $600 equates to 7.5 hours at $80/hour (which is on the high end of the per-hour spectrum), which is outrageous. call around.