1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Front Dust Shields with Bearings

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jimolson, May 21, 2023.

1. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    In 17 years I've paid for about a dozen front wheel bearing replacements on the Gen II Priuses I've owned, but this weekend was the first time I tackled replacing one myself.

The design of the aluminum bearing carrier ("knuckle") is terrible, its corrosion being the worst problem. There is no easy way to separate the bad bearing from the carrier when it's still on the vehicle, but it's even a challenge if you separate the carrier from vehicle with the bearing still in it.

It's hard to support the carrier underneath a hydraulic press. It's a shame the designer didn't include support projections in the design.

There needs to be provisions in the carrier's design (or the hub flange) to drive the four bearing retaining screws in backwards to force the two carrier and bearing apart. The dust shield could be rotated slightly to plug up the unthreaded holes, allowing something for the reverse-driven screws to push against.

Except for a stealership, has anyone identified a supplier for the dust shield that gets destroyed when wheel bearings are replaced?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Well fortunately not in the southeast I keep a set of carriers off the car for both Gen 2 and Gen 3 I own both cars and have them loaded with new bearings while we're ball joints ready to go I find it much easier to take the whole aluminum hub assembly off the vehicle takes about 12 minutes aside and then I just put the two on that have the bearings and the lower ball joints on them. That's the car needs struts now's the time I put those on and then I send the car over for an alignment I guess Indiana is rust belt or something is going on like that because it certainly doesn't seem to happen down here.

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you deliver rural mail and let the curbs and ditches steer your car down the side of the road sometimes? As in, how in the world can you go through that many bearings when many of us up in the 300K mile range are still on original bearings? Do you blow out alot of tires too? Or maybe you share your car with an especially bad driver or something? I'm trying to figure it out. This doesn't make any sense?

Rebound and Tombukt2 like this.
  4. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Or some sort of threaded holes so you could "screw jack" the bearing out, similar concept to the threaded holes on brake drums or rotors.

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Oh those things the The backing plates when I put on my cross drilled rotors those generally are taken off give me more air flow across the rotors which is irrelevant on a Prius but on Corollas and celica's. A thing. Or not.