1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing front passenger fender liner on my 2011

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kwregan, Jan 25, 2020.

Tags:
  1. kwregan

kwregan New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My front passenger side fender liner ripped clean off on the freeway and I’d like to replace it. Seems simple enough to DIY but the prices I’m seeing for the replacement part seem steep. I found the OEM part at parts geek but it’s listed at $70 plus about $65 for shipping!

There are some non-OEM/knockoff options on eBay—does anyone have any experience with those or other options?

douglasjre and pidginbil like this.
  2. 5 Speed

5 Speed Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I purchased a set off eBay and they worked just fine. All the holes lined up and they have been working for the past 3 years.

Jack Maniaci and pidginbil like this.
  3. Jack Maniaci

Jack Maniaci Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I also have a 2011 and just replaced both front fender liners with a cheap knockoff set sourced on ebay that was $40 all-in, shipping included (2 pieces, right and left). Fit seems ok so far, but my far more experienced friend who was helping me had to cut off some small pieces to make it a better fit.

It's pretty funny though, the knockoff "brand" was the Camel cigarettes logo - exact same silhouette and font!

Also did not realize until installing the Front Fender Liners that one of the Liner Extensions (53851-47040, passenger side) had also come off somewhere and been lost forever, so I've just ordered that.

One thing that seems to help in terms of getting a lower price, at least on ebay, is to try searching the OEM part number and THEN try searching the other, interchangeable part number (if known / if it exists). For example, Toyota OEM P/N 52618-47010 appears equivalent to interchangeable p/n TO1228168. Searching TO1228168 instead of the OEM part number yielded some much cheaper results than the search for 52618-47010, and those results also internally specified an oem P/N of 5261847010. Go figure as to why these cheaper offers didn't show up when I searched for either 52618-47010 or 5261847010.

Others have noted that these knockoff parts lack the padding of their OEM equivalents and thus generate more noise while driving. It's certainly true that the knockoff front fender liners lacked the pads of the originals, but I can't comment on this just yet as I'm trying to avoid the highway until I can install an additional missing liner extension (53851-47040). But, at least when going ~30mph, it sounded fine with the cheap "Camel" knockoff front fender liners.

#3 Jack Maniaci, Oct 3, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2023
    BiomedO1 likes this.
  4. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I replaced 1 on my 2015 off Amazon...had to get the plastic rivets too..I think I spent less than $40 for all. It was about 3 years ago...no problems.

5. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    In my experience, knock-offs are fine. If it's missing padding that the OEM has - see where that padding lines-up or presses against. Padding is use to prevent rubbing or knocking. If the padding lines-up to wires or hoses, you must put something there - otherwise you risk rubbing the insulation off of wires or a hole into hoses.
    If you ripped-out some of your old liner, there's a good chance your missing or will break a few plastic rivets. Get a box from Ebay or amazon for the cost of only 2 rivets from the dealership. You'll be glad you've got them.