1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Gen 1 with modules with gen 2...a few questions

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by dirt657, Dec 11, 2020.

1. dirt657

dirt657 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A friend of mine wants help replacing his pack. In the past, I’ve attempted this replacement, but both times the car gave me a HV leak code after replacement which wasn’t there to begin with.

anyone out there I can reach out to directly to see if I’m following the steps correctly? At this point I have literally done every hybrid battery except the newer GS450H. I’m pretty experienced. Just can’t get this one to work.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Gen 1 modules have two threaded inserts pressed into the bottom of the module case. The Gen 2 has only 1. Prior to assembling the battery, do you do any voltage checks between the module terminals and these inserts? I've run across many that have continuity between them. Rumor says its small cracks in the case between the 'battery parts' and the insert, allowing the insert to provide a leakage path to the battery case. If you check them for voltage, they should be zero, if anything significant is there, it's a bad module.

3. dirt657

dirt657 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As in check part of the case for continuity or the modules themselves? I’m check every module in every pack before I assemble using my megger.

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If the pack is currently assembled, then just do a normal voltage check between each main terminal (battery side of the relay) and the battery case. If there's a significant leakage path, there will be voltage present.