1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing HID Headlights on 2007 Prius - Bumper off or not

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by spree252, Dec 31, 2008.

1. spree252

spree252 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    At 45K miles, my passenger headlight (HID on 2007 Prius) is on sometimes and off other times. The dealer tells me this is the beginning of the bulb going and it needs to be replaced at $400+ (I actually forgot how much they said - didn't want to hear it).

I've been reading on the forums and realize I can get the bulbs cheaper online, but am unclear whether the installation involves removing the front bumper (which is what the dealer told me, and I may or may not want to attempt myself) or not (which is consistent with the owners manual). Seems like I have heard both being stated in the threads I have read.

Can someone clarify please. Does the bumper need to be removed to replace the HID headlight?

Thanks . . .

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Rick,

The Toyota repair manual suggests removing the front bumper. However some owners have been able to squeeze their hand in to remove and replace the bulb without going through that trouble. For the passenger side it may be necessary to remove items like the air cleaner snorkel for improved access. Fortunately I have not yet had this problem on my 2004 with 67K miles.

Since you are thinking about DIY you might see if you can remove the cover at the rear of the headlight assembly by squeezing your hand in; after you gain first-hand experience doing this then you can judge whether the dealer's price is worthwhile or not. Good luck.

3. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There have been a lot of problems with the Prius HIDs. The problem may not be the bulb, but could also be the controller. Before shelling out your money, I suggest that you contact Toyota at (800) 331-4331 and also file a complaint with NHTSA at Safercar.gov. If enough people complain, maybe Toyota will be forced into a recall for this safety problem. In most posts I've seen, Toyota seems to be willing to pick up part of the costs (probably parts).

4. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I changed my HID's with NON oem bulbs and i didnt take out the bumper, the only issue is the spring clips.

5. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I replaced both headlamp bulbs on my '05 yesterday by following the instructions in the Owner's Manual, page 305. Replacement did not require removing the bumper. However, it did require removing the front shroud above the grill, then the air intake snorkel on the passenger side. Access to the passenger side lamp was relatively quick and easy. On the other hand, access to the driver side lamp is much easier with a slender hand, very long fingers, and a lot of patience. The major problem is replacing the rubber shrouds so that all three electrical prongs are exposed for the connector.

6. hennisg

hennisg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    X2, I recomend removing the bumper. while attempting to set the spring it flew off its clip down into the car and attempts at locating were futile. Go to your dealer and ask them if you can just buy the spring/clip for the housing.......

7. fgoodyear

fgoodyear New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No need to take off the bumper cover. Takes about 45 minutes to do both, without taking it all apart. BUT.... don't use anything but the Philips bulbs. I have been dealing with a supplier who has sent me 3 sets of aftermarket bulbs and they got worse with each set. They suggested that it might be the ballast. A friend had the same problem form the same supplier. He opted for the OEM Philips bulbs after one try. No problems after that. One of his originals was still OK, so I tried it in mine. That one has not gone out since..... hence it is not the ballast. This supplier has the Philips bulbs and they are still cheaper than the dealer pricing. The aftermarket bulb will work in other vehicles using the D4R's such as the Lexus, Avalon, and the Sienna but for some reason they won't keep working in the Prius. There is a glitch in the Prius, probably something to do with the Hybrid electronics. It really should be Toyota's problem, but they refuse to acknowledge that it is.

8. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Depends on the size of your hand. It is very tight. Taking off the bumper is not a problem. I opted to replace my hid, horn and fogs all at the time I took off the bumper. I tried with the bumper on and there are plenty of those that did it. It was Waaay easier with the bumper off. Link below on what it is to take off the bmper.

Page 5 shows the bolts to take out and the cover just pulls off. fgoodyear above has a good point. MANY have experienced one light out which is just dumb

http://www.selidori.com/tech/prius/DOC/Tech2006/HO%20-%20Horn.pdf

9. 2007-Prius-hybrid

2007-Prius-hybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take off all upper bumper bolts and wheel well bolts. Pull away bumper. Remove 3 headlight bolts. Replace bulbs (s) replace lights and bumper. 30 min. job

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  11. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  12. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you for the Luscious Garage link, sadly at 2000+/- miles away I can't use her services. However, her lamp replacement video confirmed that my interpretation of the Owner's Manual instructions was correct. And the second time I replaced that lamp it took only a few minutes longer than she did.

I'd love to know what her gloves are and where I can get some. I use Latex painters gloves and they snag everything.

13. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I use nitryl gloves since I have a skin issue with latex... they also seem tougher

14. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Are Nitryl gloves available from chain stores such as Wal-Mart, Lowe's, etc.? I don't believe I've seen them at Home Depot, though I haven't looked in Walgreen's, CVS, etc.

Come to think of it, I also may have skin issues with latex. I recently switched to latex from vinyl because latex are easier to put on, and have begun to notice a rash on the backs of my hands up to the wrists....?

15. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't know where you'd get them in the states. They're pretty easily availeable here.. look like latex but blue... and cheap too. For some of the Canadians here... check Princess Auto (there's a name of a chain I bet you're unlikely to find in the states:)

16. Hytec

Hytec New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks, I found them at Home Depot in a box of 40 under the brand "Grease Monkey". Now that I know what to look for, I'm sure I'll find them in other stores. Interestingly, they are spelled NITRILE in the US

17. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The other issue with removing the bulb while on the car is that the cover will be very hard to remove the first time, and you may not be able to exert enough leverage on it. Once it's broken free, subsequent removals are much easier.

18. Robert.Steele

Robert.Steele New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you are just changing the HID Bulb (and you have normal size hands) you do NOT need to take the Bumper off.

If you need to replace the HID Ballasts (also called ECU Electrical Control Unit) you will need to remove the bumper.

The Bulb you will need is the D4R/D4S bulb

The Ballast I found a sparkhid.com

you are looking for the "D4R, D4S Denso Ballast Authentic Toyota Brand Koito New" curreltly $99 + $7 shipping.

a lot better then the $400 the Toyota Dealer wants for them.

It is really tricky to get the Ballast installed. The connector that attaches to the bulb is a tight fit. and you need to remove the device that is used to aim the headlights to get it to slide into place.

Hope this helps Just last week i replaced my lights & Ballast.

Robert Steele

19. talonts

talonts VFAQman

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My hands match my size 16 feet - 8.5" from palm base to middle finger tip.

I do NOT have to remove the bumper cover to swap the bulbs. Nothing removed on the driver's side, at most remove the intake pipe and WW tank on the passenger side. Which is faster than removing the cover.

That being said, I saw so many posts about removing the cover and how it might be difficult, that I did it one day with a ratchet, socket, and screwdriver...in about 3-5 minutes. I was checking to see if my then new 06 used the same ballasts as my 04 (which it does not).

Robert - when I was looking into swapping the headlight housings, I didn't have to remove the height adjuster to pull the ballast from what I can remember (it HAS been 4+ years since I pulled them).

20. trsandy2000

trsandy2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have changed the bulbs out also and find that you really don't need to pay someone an outrageous amount of money for the little time and effort it takes to do it. I now am wanting to change the ballasts out but have not seen any info on how to do this job. Do you know how to do it or know where I can look? I have looked in the manuals but it doesn't cover the ballasts. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

1 person likes this.