1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing JBL equiped HU with chinese android HU

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by boyito, Jan 21, 2017.

1. boyito

boyito New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, it may seems odd but I own a RHD 2013 Prius with factory JBL amp and backup camera amd i am looking into replacing it with those fancy chinese android HU. I asked the guy at aliexpress and ebay if their headunits work with JBL amp. They said yes but when I asked them to send over the harness and connectors with canbus, the connectors are somehow different. Especially the 28 pin connectors that is at the back of my HU is missing from their harness.

Below is how my factory HU looks like.

1484979614261.png
    1484979635678.png

Ive been reading lots of comprehensive topics here on the replacement and keeping the amp intact but the information i read is based on a different connectors. Id really need help from you guys on how do I (if it is even possible?) go around replacing it.

Thank you in advance. Any thoughts, reccomendations, tips are welcom.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. saltdiscus

saltdiscus Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It works fine.the only thing I lost was usb from arm rest.Everything worked and I didn't put all the cable in.

3. boyito

boyito New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You mean you have a similar factory headunit as mine and you replaced it with chinese android headunit? From where did you buy your chinese hu?

Thanks

4. saltdiscus

saltdiscus Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got from pumpkin.You have to send your model number and pic of the back to there customer service before ordering.They will send u the right cable and head unit after you pay.

5. boyito

boyito New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually I tried contacting Pumpkin and asked them if they can share a picture of the connectors so that I can cross check to see if it'll work. They refused to send it which makes me kinda unsure if they are going to send me the right one.

6. saltdiscus

saltdiscus Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    well i have exactly same connection like your pic.They did charge me 29.99 extra for the right cable.Actually they send me 2 cable and one of them fit and worked everything except the usb on the hand rest area.I also bought backup camera which also works ok.

Attached Files:

7. boyito

boyito New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh... cool. Did the JBL Sound system works the way it should? Fade, balance all sound coming from all speakers?
    I know it's probably a late to ask but if you by any chance have a picture of that cable they send you?

Thanks

8. kayz73

kayz73 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hi there,

I have just purchased a 2013 model G Touring prius. I am thinking to replace the Japanese HU with a chinese HU (already have it from my old Prius C / Aqua), but I'm a bit worried if its a right decision? because many functions of this car are controlled by the Genuine HU. So, if I do this replacement, will all those functions work perfectly. Some of the main functions are Auto Park Assist, Adaptive cruise control, Radar, Pre collission assist etc.

Plz guide me if it is a right decision to do so.

Thanks.