1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

replacing main hybrid battery for 03 Prius

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by 2004SuprGlide, Dec 28, 2014.

1. 2004SuprGlide

2004SuprGlide Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to replace the main battery and plan on using one of three companies, Hybrid battery repair net out of N Hollywood, Greentecauto out of San Dimas or Battery4 Prius on Upland. What kind of experience have members had with these companies or are there any other reputable companies that replace batteries in the So. Cal Los Angeles area?
    The dealer diagnosed the problem and will replace for $3600, the other companies will replace for between $700 and $1800, depending on what we want done. I am looking to replace and get some sort of warranty as this is my daughters daily driver.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would ask each one:
    • How do they measure the Ahr capacity of the modules?
    • What are the range of Ahr capacity of the modules used in a pack?
    • How are they charge-balanced?
    Bob Wilson

3. 2004SuprGlide

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Bob, thanks for the info what would be acceptable answers?

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus

There are more than one way to handle each. That each vendor has a reasonably credible approach described, it means they are addressing these key technical functions. But if they say 'huh', does not bode well. Also, my criteria are not 'cast in stone.' If Rex Taylor pipes in, I would defer to his years of experience. Also, Lucious Garage, Arts Automotive or any of the regular independents who visit here like Paul or Eric. These guidelines are lessons I've learned from my experiments, not by building, selling, and supporting packs over their many years.

Incoming modules should be washed, dried, and the terminal seals inspected for obvious damage. Older NHW11 modules should NOT be used due to higher internal resistance and weaker terminal seals. They are the least reliable, not impossible, but I would (and did!) pay for NHW20 modules. If someone is rebuilding NHW11 modules, well expect to be back in the same place in the future. The one exception would be a new, Toyota NHW11 pack, actually virgin modules stored and maintained by Toyota but you have that price already which should be in the $2,300 range for just the modules.

The normal specifications for our 6-cell, NiMH modules is 1.2V/cell down to 1.0V/cell. So nominally they are in the 6.0-7.2V range. But in practice, we can push the boundaries . . . a little. So please take the following as 'tickling the tiger' and by no means recommended practice without being willing to pay the price of making a serviceable module into a piece of smoking junk.

Measuring Amp-Hour (Ahr) capacity means getting the modules to a known, initial voltage in the 5.9-6.1 V range. Then apply a constant current, 1-3 A to charge them to an upper limit, typically up to about 8.5 V while looking for: a dV drop signaling charged or; a temperature rise (a safety limit) or; a maximum voltage, say 8.4-8.5 V. Modules typically show the dV drop when they have had a chance to rest ~48 hours. Then measure a fixed discharge current 1-3 A back to a fixed, low voltage, 5.8-6.0 V. The amps multiplied by duration in hours is the Ahr. There will be two, a charge Ahr and discharge Ahr. The discharge amp hours is the trustable rating. The charge amp hours is imprecise due to three potential charge limit conditions, dV, temperature, or voltage.

Modules having a minimum of 3.5 Ahr should be used but it is more important that the modules be within 20% or less of the same value. So a pack of 3.2-3.8 Ahr modules would be 3.5 -10% and 3.5 +10%. They should be matched into 19 pairs with the weakest and strongest together, 3.2 and 3.8 Ahr pair, These should be located on the ends, the coolest places. The stronger pairs, more closely matched, should be in the middle. These are not absolutes but guidelines to ask.

There are multiple approaches to balancing the charge. Charging them to say ~7.6-8.0 V and letting them sit for 24-48 hours and measuring the self-discharge works. I'm also OK with parallel all of the modules and charge up to ~7.8 V or discharge down to 7.5-7.8 V. Regardless, one thing should be universal, automation.

Anyone who claims they are doing this manually without either a well crafted, custom circuit or computer monitoring . . . I would avoid. Manual monitoring of these dang things is 'nuts' and should be avoided at all costs. We're humans and you really want the module testing and evaluation to be automated so the metrics are reproducible.

Also, I'm not a fan of cycle charge-discharge to 'restore capacity.' My testing indicates whatever the effect, it is transient and disappears within 24 hours. Others may have had more luck but that has not been my experience.

That you had the good sense to ask here is a first step. But there is a lot of engineering 'art' needed to build a quality pack and I've only addressed the modules. The buss bars and sense wires all need attention and anyone who reports replacing with new versus refurbishing the old gets a plus in my book. Rex developed a technique to nickel-plate the buss bars and that is a brilliant solution. I've also read impressive reports about cleaning.

Well I've written a lot more than expected yet strangely, not as much as I could. Hopefully, enough to give you a clue on what to look for. But I would endorse anything Rex, Paul, or Eric may volunteer as they are 'in the business.'

Bob Wilson

#4 bwilson4web, Dec 28, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    depriusoto likes this.
  5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most companies will not answer these questions and say that their process is proprietary.

I can tell you that you will get what you pay for.

The dealer is selling you a brand new battery. (Although I, and other shops can sell a brand new one for much less)
    I'm certain that the $700 is not a brand new battery.

Are you considering installing it yourself? Or can you do it with phone assistance?

I'd be happy to give you some advice and help you wade through the options. Feel free to call any time.

bwilson4web likes this.
  6. 2004SuprGlide

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was able to get new batteries installed for $2k, with a 3 year warranty. Will pick up tomorrow.

aperry1971 and bwilson4web like this.
  7. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Brand new battery installed for $2k.
    I'm interested who this is. Or did the dealer come down on price?
    Call or email mail me, or post here.

alaa al abki likes this.
  8. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

That's a great price. New Toyota batteries come with a one year warranty, did your installer extend that?

9. 2004SuprGlide

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Battery 4 Prius sold and installed the battery, and provided a 3 year warranty. They are located in Upland CA. it was a one day turnaround, they also changed transmission fluid.
    Hybrid Car Repair

10. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bet that the "brand new" battery with 3 year warranty was not a brand new "zero mile" battery. They probably sold you a Dorman refurbished battery which is OK, if it lasts, but many shops have experienced failures in less than a year with those batteries. As long as the warranty is in writing you should be ok, and hopefully the warranty includes labor also.

11. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder if they did the full transmission fluid change along with cleaning out the pan.

12. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

What pan? It is just a drain and fill.

13. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    In a Gen1 there is a pan that can be dropped, cleaned and reinstalled with a new gasket.

JeffD

14. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yep. Hopefully the full job was done. But then again, maybe they did not realize the OPs car has a pan either.
    Here is a thread from Paul of Boulder Hybrids.

"If you take it to a shop, insist the mechanic drops the pan, cleans the pan, magnet, and input screen.
    The dealer does not typically do the procedure this way, so insist it gets done properly. "

Gen1 tranny service DO IT NOW! | PriusChat

15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not to mention the pan magnet which looks like a swollen slug after it becomes covered in metal debris.

16. TampaPrius.com

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I apologize. I didn't realize this was a Gen I thread, and didn't know the Gen I has a pan.

I learn something new every day and am grateful.

17. Johnmo

Johnmo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    That place in Upland replaced my battery. It's lasted about 30k in my car so far and I've had no complaints. Although, I never got the best feeling there. There website is terrific but the shop is pretty rough.