1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing My Worn Out JBL Non Nav System

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by hayden55, Jun 19, 2017.

1. hayden55

hayden55 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it has finally come time to where I have the means and the annoyance of blown stock speakers have finally gotten to the point I can't stand them.
    I bought the car with a blown front right tweeter that rattled and made all sorts of noise, have been maxing out bass and mid range to somewhat give more volume in the right areas to where I can actually hear the music so I'm finally upgrading.
    My only problem I see is the impedance of everything I ordered is pretty much all wrong but the Crutchfield guy told me to order it all and try it out and If I don't like it send it back and he'll order the focal setup for me.

Shopping list:
    1: Kicker (43DSC6904) 6x9 coax woofers: Sensitivity @ 1w / 1m: 92db Frequency: 30-20kHz (4ohm vs 1.8ohm)

I think these will do great. Crappy tweeters but they are down low and won't matter too much but they have extended movement woofers so should hit the lows great. My goal is to sound like bass without a subwoofer. Hopefully, that high sensitivity helps me out with the power hit I take with impedance.

2: Kicker (43DSC6704) 6 3/4" coax mid speakers : Sensitivity @ 1w / 1m: 90db Frequency: 40-20kHz (4ohm vs 2ohm)

I actually wasn't going to buy rear speakers. But this was also another a key area I found with the Prius. There are no rear deck speakers coming from the hatch and the weirdly cheapo foam shit JBL 6.7" speakers have such little output it sounds like my Prius only has 6x9 speakers in the stock configuration. It really sounds unbalanced and riding in the rear is basically 80% wind noise and 20% muffled music from the front. Also, I left the stock upper door tweeters. I didn't wanna splurge too much so maybe one day I'll mess with them but for now, I'm gonna cut the budget.

3: Memphis Audio PRX27 2 3/4" mid-range dash speakers with 300Hz base killers:

It would be a hard choice whether the unbalance front to rear of the stock system was my biggest gripe or the hissing blown front tweeter was my bigger pet peeve. The stock 2.66" dash speakers had a 5-6kHz cut on them and were basically using crappy mid-range speakers as tweeters and I didn't like that I didn't really get good sound from them. So once again I told the guy at Crutchfield I wanted to throw and actual speaker in up front and he recommended the PRX's with 300Hz killers. So these should start to roll off softly from 125Hz into 300Hz and keep the distortion out of them and make them sound great and make it to where I can hear the Mid-range better in music.

Hopefully, since I chose speakers with a deeper frequency response and a high sensitivity I should be able to accomplish my goals even with the higher impedances they have. And I plan to keep the stock head unit w/ JBL amp since I'm not a huge fan of things that look aftermarket or that have a touch screen. The main goal is just to listen to pop and rap and occasionally some 90s-00s rock. Maybe my higher impedance will cut the power consumption of the speakers and increase my range :p

Speakers come in Friday and Monday. So whenever everything comes in I'll take pictures for comparison and rate the volume and quality. So that's about it... Questions? Concerns? Comments? @me i'd love to hear them.