1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Prius C 12v battery - better not to use a battery tender?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by linuxdude, Aug 5, 2019.

1. linuxdude

linuxdude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I read on a couple places that when replacing the auxiliary battery on a Prius C (2013) some things can go wrong if you use a battery tender (to hold the charge for things like the radio).

I don't care if I have to re-enter radio presets :)

So I am tending to think the safest course of action is not to use a battery tender. Just swap the 12 v battery. Then expect a little bit of the car re-learning my driving style, etc. Does that sound right ?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    i have never read that, but i just changed mine without one, and the only things i noticed was the loss of trip data, and the power window programming.

if i had a battery tender, charger, or any 12v source, i would have used it, because i'm really sad that i lost my lifetime trip data

3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well... When you disconnect the 12v it's much like turning off your computer and rebooting it... And with a brand new battery a fresh start is what you're doing so you might as go all the way...

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    "Battery Tender" covers a lot of territory. I've used a rudimentary 1/2 amp trickle charger to retain memories, it worked fine, nothing bad. More recently I use a jump pack with a cable custom made for this purpose: it plugs into a cigaret lighter style socket on the jump pack, and the car's OBD port. It has indicator lights to indicate a good connection. I think in a pinch you could also use jumper cables running to another car's battery, as long as you can find somewhere stable to clamp the jumper cable, so they won't be knocked loose when you disconnect your battery.

Use caution, especially with makeshift methods: don't mix up positive and negative. Always hook up positive first, then negative, and the opposite when disconnecting.