1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replacing Radio and Main Function Display Won't Turn Back On

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by RedShep, Dec 28, 2015.

1. RedShep

RedShep New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I received a new Sony radio for Christmas and upon trying to install this radio into my 2005 Prius, I found out without a special harness the radio will not function properly in my car. This isn't really the issue anymore as much as after I had finished gently placing the unplugged MFD aside during the attempted installation and when I put the MFD back in its place and turned the 05' Prius back on, the display did not turn on and has not turned back on since I initially removed it. My knowledge about how the MFD functions is minimal at best so I don't know if this is some sort of anti theft mechanism and it needs unlocked or reset but I am at my wits end after the radio installation failure. As a side note, when I have reinstalled the original radio the Prius came with, that radio as well as the MFD do not turn on or perform their intended uses. Any help would be greatly appreciated to relieve this Christmas AND Birthday blunder, its been a frustrating last 3 days.

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you may have popped a fuse.

also there is a special adapter harness which has a 68ohm resistor in it to keep the a/c and mfd working properly. i think its made by scosche. you need to have it, and it is a good idea to buy a metra axxess to keep your steering wheel buttons working with the new head unit.

other than that you may not have plugged one of the connectors in all the way.

3. RedShep

RedShep New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the input here. I'm going to return the Sony radio I was given fro Christmas and just put the car back together as it originally was. I will re-check the plugs to make sure they are all the way in. I was very gentle when removing the MFD so I am hoping I wouldn't have damaged it in anyway. I don't think I did. Is there any special way to turn it back on after removing it or should it just turn back on as the car does. By the way, my original CD Changer (Radio) also does not turn on at this point after being plugged back in along with the MFD. Thanks for any help.

-RS

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't forget to check the fuse as 69shovlhed mentions above. maybe test for power at the harness.